Hamiltonian formulation and the Kepler problem

In summary, the author attempted to solve the Kepler problem using Hamiltonian dynamics, but found that the results were off by a factor of the mass.
gammon54
This isn't exactly homework, but something which you'd get as an assignment, so I'll still post it here in order to reach the right people..

I'm attempting to freshen up my knowledge on Hamiltonian systems, so I've tried to formulate the Kepler problem in Hamiltonian dynamics. I[/PLAIN] got results similar to the one from this thread:

In polar coordinates (##\varphi##, r), the Lagrangian is ##L = \frac12 m(r^2\dot \varphi^2 + \dot r^2) + \frac{\mu}r##, where μ is the standard gravitational parameter, and m the mass of the object in orbit. The generalized momenta are ##p_\phi = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot \varphi} = mr^2 \dot \varphi## and ##p_r = m\dot r##. The associated Hamiltonian reads

##H = \frac12 \frac{p_\phi^2}{m r^2} + \frac12 \frac{p_r^2}{m} - \frac{\mu}r##

The equations of motion should hence be

##\frac{dr}{dt} = \frac{\partial H}{\partial p_r} = \frac{p_r}m##
##\frac{d\varphi}{dt} = \frac{p_\phi}{m r^2}##
##\frac{dp_r}{dt} = -\frac{\partial H}{\partial r} = \frac{p_\phi^2}{m r^3} - \frac{\mu}{r^2}##
##p_\phi = const##

At this point I thought I'd validate this by calculating the orbit of the ISS around earth. It's nearly circular, so I should be able to set ##\dot p_r = 0## and then check that the resulting equation

##\frac{p_\phi^2}{m r^3} - \frac{\mu}{r^2}##

holds for the orbit parameters (which are available e.g. from Wolfram Alpha). Problem is: The result is off by a factor of the mass ##m##. This can be seen from the formula as well: I arrive at the expression

##m \dot \varphi^2 r^3 = \mu##

for the orbit parameters, whereas according to Wikipedia on "Circular orbit", ##\dot \varphi^2 r^3 = \mu## would be correct.

I am hence assuming that I made a mistake with the mass somewhere in the derivation, but I can't find it. I'd appreciate a hint! :-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't your Lagrangian be [itex] L = \frac12 m(r^2\dot \varphi^2 + \dot r^2) + \frac{\mu m}r [/itex] ?

Likes gammon54
Right, thanks.. I was too worried about the details and forgot to double check the potential I guess.

##\int \frac{GMm}{r^2} dr = -\frac{GMm}{r} = -\frac{\mu m}{r}##

of course. Thanks a lot, now everything works out :-)

Related to Hamiltonian formulation and the Kepler problem

1. What is the Kepler problem?

The Kepler problem is a mathematical model that describes the motion of a particle under the influence of a central force, such as gravity. It is named after the German astronomer Johannes Kepler, who first described the laws of planetary motion.

2. What is the Hamiltonian formulation?

The Hamiltonian formulation is a mathematical method used to describe the motion of a system using its total energy, known as the Hamiltonian. It is commonly used in classical mechanics and provides a more elegant and concise way to describe the dynamics of a system compared to other methods.

3. How is the Kepler problem solved using the Hamiltonian formulation?

In the Hamiltonian formulation, the Kepler problem is solved by writing the equations of motion in terms of the Hamiltonian, which is a function of the position and momentum of the particle. This allows for the use of Hamilton's equations of motion to solve for the trajectory of the particle.

4. What are the advantages of using the Hamiltonian formulation for the Kepler problem?

The Hamiltonian formulation allows for a more intuitive and geometric understanding of the dynamics of the system. It also simplifies the equations of motion and can provide insights into the stability and long-term behavior of the system.

5. Are there any limitations to the Hamiltonian formulation for the Kepler problem?

The Hamiltonian formulation assumes that the system is conservative, meaning that the total energy remains constant. This may not always be the case, as external factors such as friction or drag can affect the motion of the particle. Additionally, the Hamiltonian formulation is most useful for simple systems and may become more complex for more complicated systems.