Hamiltonian and Conjugate Momenta in a Two-Dimensional Potential

In summary: L = \frac{1}{2m}\dot{r}^2 - kxy where r(t) = (x(t),y(t))right?so do i do igree transformationH = \dot{r} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{r}} - L ??but what about hte x and y?i am looking for the canonical momentum (i think) .. however, im not sure if we have touched on inverse legendre transformationshowever
stunner5000pt
Particle of mass m moves in two dimensionas un der the influence of a potential V(x,y) = kxy where K > 0 (not a cetnral potential)

a) Determine the momenta conjugate to the coordiante x,y of this system and Hamiltonian punction of this system (in terms of the coordiante and conjugate momenta). Explian whether the Hamilton is a constant of motion

[tex] H = \frac{1}{2m} (p_{x}^2 + p_{y}^2} + kxy [/tex]

wouldnt hte momenta simply be [tex] p_{q} = m\dot{q}[/tex] where q is a coordinate?
well the Hamitlon doesn't dependa on timte epxlicitly so it is constnat of motion

so far so good?

thank you for ANY help

Physics news on Phys.org
stunner5000pt said:
Particle of mass m moves in two dimensionas un der the influence of a potential V(x,y) = kxy where K > 0 (not a cetnral potential)

a) Determine the momenta conjugate to the coordiante x,y of this system and Hamiltonian punction of this system (in terms of the coordiante and conjugate momenta). Explian whether the Hamilton is a constant of motion

wouldnt hte momenta simply be [tex] p_{q} = m\dot{q}[/tex] where q is a coordinate?
well the Hamitlon doesn't dependa on timte epxlicitly so it is constnat of motion

so far so good?

thank you for ANY help

q is a generalized coordinate and so will not always have units of distance. So p is not automatically m(dq/dt). In general:
[tex]\dot p_j=-\frac{\partial H}{\partial q_j}[/tex].

Yes, if H has no explicit time dependence, then H is a constant of the motion.

-Dan

topsquark said:
q is a generalized coordinate and so will not always have units of distance. So p is not automatically m(dq/dt). In general:
[tex]\dot p_j=-\frac{\partial H}{\partial q_j}[/tex].

Yes, if H has no explicit time dependence, then H is a constant of the motion.

-Dan

so do i use the lagrangian which is L = T-V to get the Hamiltonian

doing that yielded
[tex] H = \frac{1}{2} m \dot{x}^2 - \frac{1}{2} m \dot{y}^2 + kxy [/tex]
if i did it for x and x dot
the signs of the first tow terms were switched when i did it for y

stunner5000pt said:

so far so good?

thank you for ANY help
Are you looking for the mechanical linear momentum or the canonical momentum? If the later then obtain the Lagrangian for this system from the Hamiltonian. Express all varibles in terms of generalized velocities. From this you can take the partial derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to the generalized velocity conjugate to the appropriate coordinate.

That should give you enough to start. It may be a bit difficult for you to do this transformation (Which I believe is called an inverse Legendre transformation), Good luck.

Pete

i am loking for hte canonical momentum (i think) but i don't believe we have touched on inverse legendre tranformations

however
[tex] L = \frac{1}{2} m\dot{r}^2 - kxy [/tex]
where r(t) = (x(t),y(t))

right?
so do i do
[tex] H = \dot{r} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{r}} - L [/tex]??

but what about hte x and y?

stunner5000pt said:
i am loking for hte canonical momentum (i think) ..
That is correct. The hint to that is that they asked for the momentum conjugate to x and y. That means that canonical momentum.
..but i don't believe we have touched on inverse legendre tranformations
Its a tricky business in general but in this case its a snap. You have the kinetic energy and the potential energy. You must have the Lagrangian expressed in terms of vx and vy. The Lagrangian is

[tex]L = \frac{1}{2m}\dot{x}^2 + \dot{y}^2 - kxy[/tex]

Now use the definition of conjugate momenta

[tex]p_x = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}}[/tex]

[tex]p_y = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{y}}[/tex]

Good luck and let me know if you have more quetions. It'd be good for you to look up the term "Legendre transformation" in a classical mechanics text such as Goldstein's.

Pete

Last edited:

Related to Hamiltonian and Conjugate Momenta in a Two-Dimensional Potential

What is a "Particle in a potential"?

A "Particle in a potential" refers to a physical system in which a small object (particle) is confined to a certain space (potential). This can be seen in various areas of physics such as quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and solid state physics. The potential can be thought of as a force field that affects the motion of the particle.

What is the Schrödinger equation and how does it relate to "Particle in a potential"?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum state. It relates to "Particle in a potential" by providing a way to calculate the allowed energy levels and corresponding wavefunctions for a particle in a given potential. This allows us to understand the behavior of the particle in the potential.

How does the potential affect the motion of the particle?

The potential affects the motion of the particle by exerting a force on the particle. The force is related to the gradient of the potential, meaning that the particle will experience a force in the direction of decreasing potential. This force can either accelerate or decelerate the particle, depending on the direction of the gradient.

What is the ground state of a "Particle in a potential"?

The ground state of a "Particle in a potential" refers to the lowest energy state that the particle can occupy in the given potential. This state has the lowest possible energy and is usually the most stable state for the particle. It is also known as the ground state energy or the zero-point energy.

How does the "Particle in a potential" model apply to real world systems?

The "Particle in a potential" model can be applied to many real-world systems, such as atoms, molecules, and solids. In these systems, the particles are confined by the potential created by the surrounding atoms or molecules. This model helps us understand the behavior and properties of these systems, and has led to many important applications in technology, such as transistors and lasers.