Halliday & Resnick: Comprehensive Physics Textbook for Self-Study

• Thread starter TheShapeOfTime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Halliday
In summary, there are mixed opinions about the different versions of the Halliday & Resnick physics textbook. While fundamental physics has not changed much in the past decades, some suggest that the older versions may be more concise and challenging. The newer versions may have more calculus and interesting images, but they are also more expensive. It is important to have a basic understanding of calculus before using this textbook. Ultimately, the choice between versions depends on personal preference and availability.
TheShapeOfTime
I'm trying to find a textbook that can I can use to study on my own time and I've heard great things of Halliday & Resnick's book. What I want to know is if this is the most current version and if I'll get lost or not having only grade 11 physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Believe it or not fundamental physics has not changed a lot in the last 50 or even 100 years. You should be able to find a perfectly useful copy of this text at a used book store for a very reasonable price. There is no real benefit in having the most current edition.

Integral said:
Believe it or not fundamental physics has not changed a lot in the last 50 or even 100 years. You should be able to find a perfectly useful copy of this text at a used book store for a very reasonable price. There is no real benefit in having the most current edition.

Indeed, besides, any version of this book is a piece of art on itself. Just like the Zumdahl-books on chemistry...

Any version will do fine and you will find anything that you need...

regards
marlon

I would disagree with these statements. Fundementals of Physics 4th edition and 5th edition DO NOT contain the same "high level" of math (more 4th then 5th). I found that FOP (Fundementals of Physics) 6th and 7th edition contain a larger amount of calculus which is a lot more fun then just the basic formulas. (expessialy in the harmonic motion, rotational motion and waves sections...)

If you are short on cash then I would recommend buying the 6th edition, but the seventh edition contains more challengin problems, and a lot more interesting photos (which may help if you are reading the text by yourself).

If you are only in grade 11, I would recommend that you learn basic calculus first before attempting to further your physics knowledge. This helps a lot in the waves/rotational movement Parts. Also Without the basic calculus you will find the textbook a bit overwhelming ...

Last edited:
I used that book as part of my intro physics sequence and really enjoyed it. If you know calculus this is a great book to work with.

I loved Resnick and Halliday. It was a staple for the "S" papers and the Ph Olympiad.

TheShapeOfTime said:
I've heard great things of Halliday & Resnick's.

Look for the "Berkeley Physics Course - McGraw-Hill " (probably out of print).
The collection (5 volumes, and "Mechanics" is the first one) is by far much better than Halliday.

TheShapeOfTime said:
I'm trying to find a textbook that can I can use to study on my own time and I've heard great things of Halliday & Resnick's book. What I want to know is if this is the most current version and if I'll get lost or not having only grade 11 physics.

I have the 6th ed. I only used it for 2nd semester Physics, not first, but I thought the 2nd semester info was really good! It was better than my first semester book (can't remember the name/author now). Looks like you can pick one up for 25$ on amazon.com marketplace. I would definitely go with the 6th ed for the price, why spend 127$ on the newest ed. I am just figuring this out now, I'm sorry I bought the newest ed of my Organic book, some of my peers have the previous and it seems just as good.

-A

I was not aware, until recently, that there are actually 2 different Halliday & Resnick texts on the market. Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnick and (now)Walker and Physics by Halliday,Resnick and (now)Krane. Evidently Physics entails more math and depth then Fundamentals.

I must put in a plug for Physics as my first University Physics course (using Fundamentals..) was taught by Ken Krane, the new contributer.

Book

Well i have both old two volume editons(written only by halliday-resnick) and 6th edition of halliday resnick walker i think the old two volume is the best it beats walker one by i think 100-10 if you are studying a little advanced level physics.Though you have to read very carefully you can easily jump over some concepts in old book the theory is very concise problems are excellent (concepts are hidden in problems) .
I would say
if you like physics purchase old one two volume though i am not sure whether it is still available in market.

Thanks for your input

Related to Halliday & Resnick: Comprehensive Physics Textbook for Self-Study

1. What makes "Halliday & Resnick" a comprehensive physics textbook?

"Halliday & Resnick" covers a wide range of topics in physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and modern physics. It provides detailed explanations, numerous examples, and practice problems to help readers develop a strong understanding of the subject.

2. Is "Halliday & Resnick" suitable for self-study?

Yes, "Halliday & Resnick" is designed for self-study. It contains clear and concise explanations, step-by-step problem-solving strategies, and a variety of practice problems to help readers learn at their own pace.

3. What level of math is required to understand "Halliday & Resnick"?

"Halliday & Resnick" assumes a basic understanding of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Some calculus may be required for certain topics, but it is not necessary for the majority of the book.

4. Does "Halliday & Resnick" include real-world applications of physics?

Yes, "Halliday & Resnick" includes numerous real-world examples and applications of physics concepts. It also discusses the historical development of physics and how it has impacted our understanding of the world.

5. Are there supplemental materials available for "Halliday & Resnick"?

Yes, there are supplemental materials available for "Halliday & Resnick" such as a solutions manual, study guides, and online resources. These materials can help readers further enhance their understanding of the subject.