Hall Effect Probe for Measuring Magnetic Field Strength

In summary, a probe using the Hall effect to measure magnetic fields has a 11-A current passing through a 1.33-cm-wide and 1.31-mm-thick strip of sodium metal. The Hall emf is 2.42 μV. Using the equation j = nev and the given values, the drift velocity of the electrons can be found. By referencing the Periodic Table, the atomic weight of sodium can be determined. The equation v = IB/(ned) can then be derived and used to calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field.
Angie K.

Homework Statement

In a probe that uses the Hall effect to measure magnetic fields, a 11-A current passes through a 1.33-cm-wide and 1.31-mm-thick strip of sodium metal. If the Hall emf is 2.42 μV, what is the magnitude of the magnetic field (take it perpendicular to the flat face of the strip)? Assume one free electron per atom of Na, and take sodium's mass density to be 0.971 g/cm3.

The current density j (current per cross-sectional area) is given by j = nev, where n is the number density of free charges,e is the charge of an electron, and v is the drift velocity of the electrons. See Chapter 25, Section 25-8, for more details. Note that j = I/A, where A is the area perpendicular to the current flow, so from I/A = nev, you can find the drift velocity v.
•See the Periodic Table in the back cover of your book to find out the atomic weight of sodium.

Homework Equations

v = IB/n e d

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured the equation to be IB/n e d (from hint given in problem) but I am not sure how to calculate n e d. Is n, (number of atoms) of Na 23kg? then e is 1.6*10^-19 Coulombs and d is the width from the given variables. (1.33 cm)?

Physics news on Phys.org
For n, that's not quite right. I would take a quick look at section 25-8 to see what you can find about n.

I would also suggest drawing a cross-sectional sketch that clearly shows the dimensions, the electric and magnetic field directions, and the electric and magnetic force directions. Ideally, you would use your diagram, and the I/A = nev equation given in the problem, to derive the equation v = IB/(ned) and then you will know exactly how these variables fit this problem.

Related to Hall Effect Probe for Measuring Magnetic Field Strength

1. What is a Hall Effect Probe and how does it work?

A Hall Effect Probe is a type of sensor used to measure the strength and direction of a magnetic field. It works by utilizing the Hall Effect, which is the production of a voltage difference across an electrical conductor when it is placed in a magnetic field and current flows through it.

2. What are the advantages of using a Hall Effect Probe for measuring magnetic field strength?

There are several advantages to using a Hall Effect Probe. It is a non-contact method of measurement, meaning it does not require physical contact with the object being measured. It is also highly sensitive and can detect small changes in magnetic field strength. Additionally, it can measure both DC and AC magnetic fields.

3. How accurate is a Hall Effect Probe in measuring magnetic field strength?

The accuracy of a Hall Effect Probe depends on several factors, such as the quality of the probe, the strength and orientation of the magnetic field, and any external interference. However, with proper calibration and usage, a Hall Effect Probe can provide accurate measurements with a precision of up to 0.1%.

4. Can a Hall Effect Probe be used in harsh environments?

Yes, Hall Effect Probes are designed to be rugged and durable, making them suitable for use in harsh environments. They can withstand high temperatures, extreme pressures, and exposure to chemicals and moisture.

5. How can I interpret the data collected by a Hall Effect Probe?

The data collected by a Hall Effect Probe is typically displayed as a voltage output, which can be converted into magnetic field strength using a calibration curve. Some probes also come with software that can directly display the magnetic field strength. It is important to carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions for interpreting and analyzing the data.