How High Can You Jump on the Moon and Sun Compared to Earth?

• Thread starter gigi9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Then plug in the formula for the total mass M of the cone, and check that you get the right answer. In summary, for the first problem, use the maximum height formula or the velocity equals zero formula to find the maximum heights on the moon and the sun for a person who can jump 5ft on earth. For the second problem, use the integral for work done to find the natural length of a spring. For the third problem, slice the cone into horizontal discs and use the integral for work to find the total work done by the slaves in building the mound.
gigi9
Someone please help me how to do these problems below. Thanks a lot for your help.
1) On the surface of the moon the acceleration due to gravity is approximately 1/6 the sun at the surface of the earth, and on the surface of the sun it is approximately 29 times as great as at the surface of the earth. If a person on Earth can jump with enough initial velocity to rise 5ft, how high wil the same initail velocity carry that person (a) on the moon? (b) on the sun?
***I had s= -16t^2+ int. v*t+ int. s
s=5, int.s=0...what should I find, how do I do this problem?

2) Find the natural length of a spring if the work done in stretching it from a length of 2ft to the length of 3ft is one-fourth the work done in stretching it from 3ft to 5ft.
**Force=k*x,k is a constants, what I did was the force of stretching from 2ft-3ft is F1=k*1ft, F2=4*F1...not sure if I started out right...please show me how to do it.

3) A great conical mound of height h is built by the slaves of an oriental monarch, to commemorate a victory over the barbarians. If the slaves simply heap up uniform material found at ground level, and if the total weight of the finished mound is M, show that the work they do is 1/2h*M
**I'm totally stuck w/ this problem..what integral should i use?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) I had s= -16t^2+ int. v*t+ int. s
s=5, int.s=0...what should I find, how do I do this problem?

That equation tells you how high the person will rise in a given amount of time, but you need a formula for the maximum height. If you know conservation of energy, that's the easiest way; if not, then use the fact that the maximum height occurs at a time when the velocity equals zero.

2) Force=k*x,k is a constants, what I did was the force of stretching from 2ft-3ft is F1=k*1ft, F2=4*F1...

It's not true that F2 = 4 F1. It's true that W2 = 4 W1. Work is the integral of force with respect to displacement. So if F(x) = k(x-L) where x is the length of the stretched spring and L is its natural length, then the work done in stretching it from length x1 to length x2 is,

[tex]W_{12} = \int_{x_1}^{x_2} F\,dx[/tex]

3) what integral should i use?

Slice the cone up into a stack of horizontal discs, and write down a formula for the work dW needed to lift a disc of mass dm from the ground to a given height h.

Then integrate dW (you'll turn it into an integral with respect to dm, which can in turn be written with respect to dh, since the mass of a disc depends on its sizewhich for a cone depends on its height) to get the total work W.

1) To solve this problem, we can use the equations of motion for a projectile: s=ut+1/2at^2 where s is the displacement, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

(a) On the moon, the acceleration due to gravity is 1/6 of that on Earth, so we can substitute a=1/6g and solve for t when s=5ft and u is the initial velocity of the jump:
5ft = ut + 1/2(1/6g)t^2
Simplifying, we get:
5ft = ut + 1/12gt^2
Since we know that the initial velocity on the moon is the same as on Earth, we can substitute u=5ft/s and solve for t:
5ft = (5ft/s)t + 1/12gt^2
t = 10s
This means that it would take 10 seconds for the person to reach a height of 5ft on the moon.

(b) On the sun, the acceleration due to gravity is 29 times that on Earth, so we can substitute a=29g and solve for t when s=5ft and u is the initial velocity:
5ft = ut + 1/2(29g)t^2
Simplifying, we get:
5ft = ut + 14.5gt^2
Substituting u=5ft/s, we get:
5ft = (5ft/s)t + 14.5gt^2
t = 0.34s
This means that it would only take 0.34 seconds for the person to reach a height of 5ft on the sun.

2) In this problem, we can use the equation for work done: W=Fd where W is the work, F is the force, and d is the displacement.

We are given that the work done in stretching the spring from 2ft to 3ft is one-fourth the work done in stretching it from 3ft to 5ft. This means that:
W1 = 1/4W2
We also know that the force is directly proportional to the displacement, so we can write:
F1 = kx1
F2 = kx2
Substituting these into the equation for work, we get:
W1 = kx1d1

1. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

Scalar quantities are physical quantities that have magnitude only, such as distance or time. Vector quantities have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force.

2. How do you calculate speed?

Speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance.

3. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length of the path traveled, while displacement is the straight-line distance from the starting point to the end point.

4. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. When an object experiences acceleration, its speed or direction of motion changes.

5. How does the acceleration due to gravity affect falling objects?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant force that causes objects to accelerate towards the Earth at a rate of 9.8 m/s^2. This means that objects will fall faster and faster the longer they fall, until they reach terminal velocity when air resistance balances out the force of gravity.