H20 Molecular shift - what is the initial state just below the Dew Point

In summary, when water vapour in the air reaches its Dew Point temperature, it will phase shift back to liquid due to the presence of condensation nuclei. At temperatures below 0°C, some vapour molecules will shift directly to ice while others will shift to water first and then freeze. This is due to the high surface tension of water, which requires a supersaturation of at least 120% to form droplets at low temperatures. The crystals that form act as nuclei for more vapour, resulting in the Bergeron Process and more ice crystals than water droplets.
karen_lorr
Hi all

Another question (sorry)

Water vapour in the air will phase shift back to liquid when it reaches its Dew Point temp (Partial Pressure = the Saturated Vapour Pressure), OK I have this.

For this phase shift I assume that there are Condensation Nuclei and these nuclei are at a lower temperature than the vapour – so any vapour entering the local area will enter an area of reduced humidity and condense back to liquid and stick to the nuclei.

But (there is always a but ;-)

Assuming that the air /vapour/water temp (I’ll treat them all as about the same) is below 0c then why do some of the vapour molecules shift to water on contact with the nuclei and why do some shift directly to ice.

I am asking about the initial shift of a single molecule. I understand that “after” shifting the Bergeron Process will mean vapour dissipates whilst ice increases, but this requires some ice to be present near the vapour.

But, again, when initially shifting, in the vicinity of condensation nuclei do some shift to water and other shift to ice.

Am I missing something here ?

eg.
*Do all vapour molecules (when there is no ice present) shift to water first, then freeze?
*Do all molecules shift to ice first, which then evaporates ?
*Is it due the vapour shifting then releasing the latent energy it picked up in its evaporation –the energy reduction causing less agitation so a rigid hexagonal lattice forms?
* etc
* etc

Sorry am a little confused by this.

Can any explain the physics behind this – the technical reason for the shift to water first (if that is what happens)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's OK, I worked it out.

Just in case anyone else was wondering - the answer is that due to high surface tension (pure) water needs a supersaturation of at least 120% down to -20c, whereas vapour will form ice around a nuclei at higher temps. The crystals then act nuclei for vapour so the Bergeron Process will ensure there are more crystals than droplets.

Related to H20 Molecular shift - what is the initial state just below the Dew Point

1. What is the definition of H20 Molecular shift?

H20 Molecular shift refers to the change in state of water molecules from liquid to gas due to an increase in temperature. This process is also known as evaporation.

2. How does the Dew Point affect the H20 Molecular shift?

The Dew Point is the temperature at which the air becomes saturated with water vapor, leading to condensation. Just below the Dew Point, the air is close to being saturated, which means that the H20 Molecular shift will occur more rapidly.

3. What is the initial state just below the Dew Point?

The initial state just below the Dew Point is a state of high humidity, where the air is close to being saturated with water vapor. This means that the H20 molecules are more likely to undergo a molecular shift and change from liquid to gas.

4. How does air pressure affect the H20 Molecular shift?

Air pressure does not directly affect the H20 Molecular shift. However, changes in air pressure can affect the temperature at which water molecules turn from liquid to gas. Higher air pressure typically means a higher boiling point, while lower air pressure means a lower boiling point.

5. What are some factors that can influence the H20 Molecular shift?

The H20 Molecular shift can be influenced by temperature, air pressure, humidity, and wind. Other factors such as the surface area of water, the presence of impurities, and the surrounding environment can also play a role in the rate of molecular shift.