H parameter to place figure 'here' not working

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the "h!" command in LaTeX to override the default positioning of figures. One person suggests using this command to place the figure at the top of the page, while another suggests looking at a wiki page for more information. The conversation ends with someone expressing difficulty understanding the wiki page.
binbagsss
I have \begin{figure}[h] ... \end{figure},

but it's just placing the figure at the top of the page.

do i need some package? which one?

thanks very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to use h! in order to override the internal constraints when determining the "here" position.

soarce said:
Try to use h! in order to override the internal constraints when determining the "here" position.
thanks for the reply, didn't work :(

Anyone else?
A simple way.
struggling to make sense of the wiki page.

Related to H parameter to place figure 'here' not working

What is the "H parameter" used for in placing figures?

The "H parameter" is used to specify the preferred location for a figure within a document. It stands for "here" and is typically used to place a figure at the exact point in the document where it is mentioned in the code.

Why is the "H parameter" not working for my figure placement?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that there is not enough space on the page for the figure to be placed "here." Another possibility is that there is conflicting code that is overriding the "H parameter." It is also possible that the figure is too large to fit in the designated space.

Can I use the "H parameter" with any type of figure?

Yes, the "H parameter" can be used with any type of figure, including images, charts, and graphs. However, the effectiveness of the parameter may vary depending on the size and dimensions of the figure.

Is there an alternative to using the "H parameter" for figure placement?

Yes, instead of using the "H parameter," you can use the "float" property in CSS to specify where you want the figure to be placed. This allows for more flexibility in terms of placement options for figures.

How can I troubleshoot issues with the "H parameter" not working?

If the "H parameter" is not working for your figure placement, you can try adjusting the size of the figure, removing conflicting code, or using the "float" property instead. You can also refer to online resources or consult with other scientists or programmers for assistance.