H-Bridge troubles (driving a stepper motor)

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to drive a stepper motor with an h-bridge using P-channel and N-channel fets. The initial attempt with P-channel fets on the top half and N-channel fets on the bottom half did not work due to the hex inverter's low output voltage. The individual then tried a different circuit but encountered issues when the motor was connected. The conversation ends with a request for suggestions or help.
loamobn1
I'm trying to drive a stepper motor with an h-bridge. The motor has four input leads, so uses two h-bridges. I need to be able to reverse the current through the coils (thats why I'm using the h-bridges), and control the mosfets on either side of the h-bridge with one 5V output pulse from an Arduino.

My first attempt was to put P-Channel mosfets on the top half, N-Channel mosfets on the bottom half, and have one signal feed the gate of the correct N-Channel and go through an inverter and feed the corresponding P-Channel. That didn't work, because (for some reason unknown to me) the Hex Inverter IC's LOW was about 1V, and didnt put the P-Channel into conduction.

Then I tried the circuit that I have attached, to actively drive the P-Channel gate low. The output (either side of the coil) looks fine from an oscilloscope when the motor isn't connected, but when it IS, the voltage at these points dies out.

I've seen a half dozen H-bridge circuits, and tried most of them (the simpler ones), but none of them have worked. I think that the problem may be that the P-Channel drain voltages are about equal to the gate voltage...but the gate threshold voltage is 2V, so it doesn't turn on.

I've been working on this thing non-stop for weeks, asked a handful of EE students and teachers, and no one knows...any help or suggestions would make you a celebrity around here.

(P.S. The "resistance" of the coil is 12 ohms.)

Thanks

Attachments

• p-chan hbridge pic.jpg
    p-chan hbridge pic.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 648
Engineering news on Phys.org
A few observations:

1. The high side P-channel fets in your schematic are upside down. The source pins should be connected to VCC (12V) and drain is connected to the motor.

2. Your schematic depicts N-channel fets on the high side. But since you indicated you’re using P-channel on the high side, be sure your schematic reflects this. Using high side N-channel fets is a common approach, particularly in higher power motor controls, but this would require different high side gate drive circuitry.

3. The Hex inverter would not have worked as the high side fet driver. When the hex inverter is logic low (0V), then Vgs = -12V and the high side fet is on. When the hex inverter is logic high (5V), then Vgs = -7V and the high side fet is still on.

Once you turn those P-channel high side fets around, the circuit as you’ve drawn it should work fine.

Related to H-Bridge troubles (driving a stepper motor)

What is an H-Bridge and how does it work?

An H-Bridge is an electronic circuit used to control the direction and speed of a motor. It consists of four switches arranged in a configuration that allows current to flow in either direction through the motor. By controlling which switches are open or closed, the direction and speed of the motor can be controlled.

Why is my stepper motor not moving correctly?

There are several possible reasons why your stepper motor may not be moving correctly. Some common causes include incorrect wiring, insufficient power supply, or damaged components. Check your wiring and connections, make sure you are providing enough voltage and current to the motor, and check for any damaged or faulty components.

How do I troubleshoot H-Bridge problems?

To troubleshoot H-Bridge problems, start by checking all of your connections and wiring. Make sure the H-Bridge is receiving enough power and that all of the components are functioning properly. You can also use a multimeter to test the voltage and current at various points in the circuit. If you are still having issues, try replacing any suspect components or consulting an expert.

Can I use an H-Bridge to control a DC motor?

Yes, an H-Bridge can be used to control both DC and stepper motors. However, the type of motor you are using will determine the specific configuration and control signals needed for the H-Bridge circuit.

What are some common problems when driving a stepper motor with an H-Bridge?

Some common problems when driving a stepper motor with an H-Bridge include overheating, incorrect wiring, insufficient power supply, and damaged components. It is important to carefully follow the proper wiring and control signal configurations for your specific motor and H-Bridge circuit to avoid these issues.