Gyroscope coupling force force question

In summary, the conversation discusses a video on YouTube showing a gyro keeping a piece of cheese from falling. The person has questions about the forces acting on the gyro and how to calculate the force needed to bring the cheese to the ground. They also mention using a website to learn more about gyros but are confused about the omega part and how it relates to the coupling force in the video. They end with a playful comment about not receiving any responses.
dislect
Hello everyone,

I saw this video in youtube:
And I have some questions, can someone please explain me the forces acting on this gyro? what is the momentum that keeps the cheese from falling, the direction of its action don't add up to me

Also, how could i calculate the force needed to take down the cheese to the ground given that the RPM is constant (electric motor), unlike in the video above?

i tried using the following website after reading about gyros:
http://www.gyroscopes.org/math.asp
what i don't understand is the omega part, it seems to be zero in the youtube video so how come the coupling force is so big?

Thanks a lot,
sharon

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
no one? realy?
is it like holiday now or something? :-)

Related to Gyroscope coupling force force question

What is a gyroscope?

A gyroscope is a device used to measure and maintain orientation and angular velocity. It consists of a spinning wheel or disk that is mounted on a set of gimbals, allowing it to rotate freely in all three axes.

How does a gyroscope work?

A gyroscope works based on the principle of conservation of angular momentum. When the spinning wheel is rotated, it will maintain its orientation in space, regardless of any external forces acting on it. This allows it to accurately measure changes in orientation and angular velocity.

What is gyroscopic precession?

Gyroscopic precession is the phenomenon that occurs when a gyroscope is subjected to a torque, causing it to rotate around an axis perpendicular to the applied force. This is why gyroscopes are used in navigation and stabilization systems.

How is gyroscopic precession used in everyday life?

Gyroscopic precession is used in many everyday devices, such as smartphones and gaming controllers, to measure and maintain orientation. It is also used in navigation systems on boats and airplanes to keep them on course.

What is the importance of gyroscope coupling force?

Gyroscope coupling force is important in maintaining the accuracy and stability of a gyroscope. It ensures that external forces do not affect the orientation of the spinning wheel, allowing it to accurately measure changes in orientation and angular velocity. Without proper coupling force, a gyroscope would not function effectively.