Gyroscope behaviour during 24 hours on earth

In summary, the conversation discusses the movement and orientation of a precision gyroscope placed on a table, which is able to maintain its motion through an electric drive or compressed air. It is mentioned that there should be relative motion between the gyro and its stationary holder, except at the poles, due to the tilted axis of Earth. The orientation of the axes also affects the motion in all 3 axes.
aladinlamp
Hi

is my assumption correct ?

precision gyroscope,sitting on the table during 24 hours, perfectly balanced, with free motion in all 3 axis, while still spinning using electric drive or compressed air to maintain motion...

there should be relative motion between gyro and its stationary holder in all 3 axis( assuming I am not at the poles) but at some latitude less than 90.

gyro disk should keep orientation and holder will move with earth, but from my reference frame i will see holder stationary and gyro disk will move

gyro-5-638.jpg
AxialTiltObliquity.png
Effect-of-earth-rotation-on-Gyro-at-Equator.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Right.

Not necessarily a motion in all 3 axes, it depends on the orientation of the axes relative to the rotation axis of Earth.

i think because of tilted Earth axis, except poles, the point on the sphere surface( gyro holder) has to move in all 3 axis

Tilt relative to an arbitrary reference frame?
You can consider everything from the reference frame of Earth, aligned with the axis of rotation.

Related to Gyroscope behaviour during 24 hours on earth

1. How does a gyroscope behave on Earth?

A gyroscope behaves as a stable object on Earth, maintaining its orientation and resisting any external forces that may try to change its direction. This is due to the conservation of angular momentum.

2. Does a gyroscope behave differently during the day and night?

No, a gyroscope behaves the same way during both day and night on Earth. Its behavior is not affected by the Earth's rotation or position relative to the sun.

3. Can a gyroscope be affected by the Earth's magnetic field?

No, a gyroscope is not affected by the Earth's magnetic field. It relies on the principle of angular momentum, which is a property of an object's mass and speed, rather than its magnetic properties.

4. How does a gyroscope behave on Earth's equator compared to the poles?

A gyroscope behaves the same way on Earth's equator and poles. Its behavior is not affected by the latitude or location on the Earth's surface.

5. Can the Earth's rotation affect the behavior of a gyroscope?

No, the Earth's rotation does not affect the behavior of a gyroscope. The gyroscope's stability and resistance to external forces are due to its own properties, not the Earth's rotation.