Gum health and vitamin deficiency

• Medical
  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Health
In summary, the dentist told the person that they have cavities in their gums and that this may be related to a lack of b12 and folic acid. She also mentioned that the person may work with pastries and that this might be why they have cavities.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have looked on the net but can find no answer, so, my dentist tells me i have to have two teeth out not because they are bad but because i have cavities in the gums, she tells me this may be linked to lack of b12 and folic acid, like how? i can find no additional info.
Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
wolram said:
I have looked on the net but can find no answer, so, my dentist tells me i have to have two teeth out not because they are bad but because i have cavities in the gums, she tells me this may be linked to lack of b12 and folic acid, like how? i can find no additional info.
Thanks.
Cavities in the gums? Does she mean that you have periodontal disease? I'd also get a second opinion before getting teeth pulled.

http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/HealthInformation/DiseasesAndConditions/GumPeriodontalDiseases/PeriodontalDiseases.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe she means gum-line caries... but unless your teeth are in horrific shape, most dentists would opt to try to save them. I cannot honestly say. You're in Britain, so getting another opinion is not going to happen quickly, I gather. But Evo is right - see another dentist.

From other posts, it seems you may work with pastries - are you taking a lot of work home - I did that years ago and gained weight like crazy. All of the airballs either went into the trashbin or into a sack to take home with you. My favorite was "exploding" eclairs... messy but good.

Starchy sweets are hell on wheels cavity-wise.

Last edited:
jim mcnamara said:
Maybe she means gum-line caries... but unless your teeth are in horrific shape, most dentists would opt to try to save them. I cannot honestly say. You're in Britain, so getting another opinion is not going to happen quickly, I gather. But Evo is right - see another dentist.

From other posts, it seems you may work with pastries - are you taking a lot of work home - I did that years ago and gained weight like crazy. All of the airballs either went into the trashbin or into a sack to take home with you. My favorite was "exploding" eclairs... messy but good.

Starchy sweets are hell on wheels cavity-wise.

I do not eat sweet things, i even find it hard to work with the smell of sweet things.
The dentist showed me xrays of the area and sure enought there are very clear looking cavities in the gums, i can actually feel a soft spot where one is shown, externally the gums look fine.

Evo said:
Cavities in the gums? Does she mean that you have periodontal disease? I'd also get a second opinion before getting teeth pulled.

http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/HealthInformation/DiseasesAndConditions/GumPeriodontalDiseases/PeriodontalDiseases.htm

My dentist has compliment me on the way i look after my teeth and gums, i think she is just is as annoyed as i am about having to have them out.

IIII dunno, Wollie. I've never heard of GUM cavities. Are you SURE she said gum CAVITIES? Which teeth are the ones that have to come out? Sometimes people get ABSCESSES in their gums and it invades the tooth/teeth, so that may be what is going on here. Some people can have gum abscesses and not even know it until it is too late to save the tooth. Simply a best guess based on my ER experience... Good luck!

on the other hand... :biggrin: I just found this on the net and it discusses pathological cavities in the gums from periodontitis... (see stage 2)

http://www.biodent.nu/engelska/behandling_e/paro_e.htm

Tsu said:
IIII dunno, Wollie. I've never heard of GUM cavities. Are you SURE she said gum CAVITIES? Which teeth are the ones that have to come out? Sometimes people get ABSCESSES in their gums and it invades the tooth/teeth, so that may be what is going on here. Some people can have gum abscesses and not even know it until it is too late to save the tooth. Simply a best guess based on my ER experience... Good luck!

Thanks Tsu i have to go see the dentist today, may be she can explain more.

Related to Gum health and vitamin deficiency

1. How does vitamin deficiency affect gum health?

Vitamin deficiency can have a significant impact on gum health as certain vitamins, such as vitamin C and vitamin D, play important roles in maintaining healthy gum tissue. A deficiency in these vitamins can lead to weakened gum tissue, making it more susceptible to infection and disease.

2. What are the signs of gum disease caused by vitamin deficiency?

Gum disease caused by vitamin deficiency can present with symptoms such as red, swollen, and bleeding gums, receding gum line, and loose teeth. If left untreated, it can lead to more severe conditions such as periodontitis and tooth loss.

3. Can a vitamin deficiency be the sole cause of gum disease?

No, a vitamin deficiency alone is not usually the sole cause of gum disease. Poor oral hygiene, smoking, and genetics also play a significant role in the development of gum disease. However, a vitamin deficiency can contribute to the progression and severity of gum disease.

4. How can I prevent gum disease caused by vitamin deficiency?

The best way to prevent gum disease caused by vitamin deficiency is to maintain a balanced and nutritious diet, including foods rich in vitamins C and D. Additionally, practicing good oral hygiene, such as brushing twice a day and flossing daily, can help keep your gums healthy.

5. Can vitamin supplements help improve gum health?

Yes, vitamin supplements can help improve gum health if you have a deficiency. However, it is always best to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplements. A well-balanced diet is still the most effective way to ensure proper vitamin intake for overall health and gum health.