Guitar Pickups - Shapes of magnets used and their importance

In summary, the pole pieces on a guitar pickup are usually cylindrical in shape, but there is no real difference in performance between triangular and rectangular pole pieces. It is possible to magnetize your own pickups, but unless you have very strong magnets it is likely that they will demagnetize over time.
MathsRetard09
I'm not electrical minded but I am wondering why my guitar pickup like most have the these rod shaped magnets.

Why are they that shape and why is it important?

I would like to make my own pickup to understand better how it functions and to see if I can achieve the attempt in making one.

But I'm wondering what other shaped magnets I could use instead.

I know the magnet(s) would have to lay beneath all the strings of the guitar.

I would like someone to enlighten me some knowledge on this and also answer this question too:

If they exist as I am not sure if they do, but if I used triangular prism rod shaped magnets instead of the standard cylindrical type, would it change anything drastic? would the pickup work?

I'm asking because I want my pickup to look different, instead of these round things behind my strings I want to have triangles instead. I just don't know if it's even possible to do this and whether there's some physical law that states magnets have to be a particular shape to work properlly etc..

I am a mechanical engineer which possibly explains my lack of intellect due to the overuse of using hammers however please, if you understand what I'm on about and would like to help me out then please do not hesitate to reply.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What you are asking about is pole-pieces, not magnets. If you look at pickup designs over the years, you will find that almost any shape will work for pole-pieces. Bars, rectangles, cylinders, pairs of cylinders... I'm sure that pole-pieces with a triangular cross-section would work just fine, but think of the manufacturing costs. What is easier to make, economically? Machining cylindrical or rectangular pole-pieces is pretty straightforward. Machining triangular pole-pieces or even odd cross-sections like stars, etc costs money with no obvious advantage.

If you want to make your magnet unique sounding, you could try a different grade of Alnico. Most pickups use Alnico 3 or Alnico 5. You could even magnetize them yourself if you wanted. I am no expert in the matter but I am trying to magnetize some big alnico blocks right now (you can see it in my 30V 200A pulse thread a few topics below yours). From what I know though, I would suggest against using an Alnico magnet with such sharp angles, because it has very low coercivity vs. remnance compared to other magnets, meaning that it is easily demagnetized unless it is long. I don't own any pickups, but I don't think I remember seeing pole pieces (pieces of iron stuck to the ends of a magnet to guide flux) on the outside of the guitar. Correct me if I'm wrong, but right under each string you have a magnet, I don't think there's a pole piece in between, but i could be wrong. If there is then it really shouldn't make a difference what shape it is so u can make them into stars or skulls or whatever

thanks guys makes sense :)

I can provide some insight into the shapes of magnets used in guitar pickups and their importance. The most common shape for guitar pickup magnets is the rod shape, which is typically made of Alnico or ceramic material. This shape allows for a strong magnetic field to be created and focused directly under the strings of the guitar, which is essential for producing a clear and powerful sound.

The specific shape of the magnet is important because it affects the strength and direction of the magnetic field. In a guitar pickup, the magnetic field needs to be strong enough to vibrate the strings and create a signal, but not so strong that it interferes with the vibration of the strings. The rod shape is ideal for this because it allows for a strong field to be focused directly under the strings, while minimizing interference with the string vibrations.

In terms of making your own pickup, it is possible to use different shaped magnets, but it may affect the overall performance of the pickup. For example, using triangular prism rod shaped magnets instead of cylindrical ones may alter the strength and direction of the magnetic field, potentially resulting in a different sound. It is important to consider the properties of the magnets and how they will interact with the strings before making any changes.

In terms of physical laws, there are no strict rules for the shape of magnets used in guitar pickups. However, the shape and material of the magnet will affect its magnetic properties, so it is important to choose a magnet that is suitable for the specific application.

In summary, the rod shape of guitar pickup magnets is important for creating a strong and focused magnetic field under the strings, essential for producing a clear and powerful sound. While it is possible to use different shaped magnets, it is important to consider their properties and how they will affect the overall performance of the pickup. I hope this helps to answer your questions and guide you in your pursuit of making your own pickup.

Related to Guitar Pickups - Shapes of magnets used and their importance

1. What are guitar pickups and why are they important?

Guitar pickups are electromagnetic devices attached to the body of a guitar that convert the vibrations of the strings into an electrical signal. This signal is then amplified and heard through an amplifier. Guitar pickups are important because they greatly contribute to the tone and sound of an electric guitar.

2. What shapes of magnets are commonly used in guitar pickups?

The two most commonly used shapes of magnets in guitar pickups are Alnico and ceramic. Alnico magnets are made of a combination of aluminum, nickel, and cobalt, and are known for their warm and smooth tone. Ceramic magnets, on the other hand, are made of ceramic material and have a brighter and more aggressive tone.

3. What is the importance of the shape of magnets in guitar pickups?

The shape of magnets used in guitar pickups plays a crucial role in determining the tone and sound of the guitar. Different shapes and materials of magnets have different magnetic field strengths and properties, which affect the way the strings vibrate and the resulting sound. The shape of the magnets also affects the overall output of the pickup.

4. Are there other factors besides the shape of magnets that affect the sound of guitar pickups?

Yes, besides the shape of magnets, other factors that affect the sound of guitar pickups include the type of wire used, the number of windings, and the placement of the pickup on the guitar. Each of these factors can greatly influence the tone and overall sound of the guitar.

5. Can the shape of magnets be changed in guitar pickups?

Yes, the shape of magnets in guitar pickups can be changed. In fact, some guitar manufacturers offer pickups with interchangeable magnets, allowing for customization of the guitar's tone. However, it is important to note that changing the shape of magnets may also require adjustments to other components of the pickup to maintain the proper balance and functioning of the pickup.