Guidelines so that I can get started with Reactor physics?

In summary: The catalog will give you the prerequisites for that course.In summary, the student has completed Calculus 1, 2, and 3, but has not completed differential equations. They are looking for guidance on what other courses they need to take in order to get started in their program. They mention a specific topic in reactor physics and express a desire for guidelines to learn it independently. The expert suggests looking at the curriculum outline for their program or other NE programs to get an idea of the required courses. They also advise checking the prerequisites for each course in the university catalog.
Nafis Fuad
I have completed Calculus 1,2,3. I haven't yet completed differential equations.What other courses do I have to take to get started?
I know that there are difficult topics in reactor physics like neutron transport equation.So,it would be really helpful if you can give some guidelines so that I can learn all of it by myself
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Nafis Fuad said:
I have completed Calculus 1,2,3. I haven't yet completed differential equations.What other courses do I have to take to get started?
I know that there are difficult topics in reactor physics like neutron transport equation.So,it would be really helpful if you can give some guidelines so that I can learn all of it by myself
Thanks in advance

Don't your school have an outline of the curriculum for your program? Don't you have an academic advisor that you can direct this question to?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Don't your school have an outline of the curriculum for your program? Don't you have an academic advisor that you can direct this question to?

Zz.
No,I cant.I can't explain here the situation I am in.Thats why I am asking here

Last edited by a moderator:
Nafis Fuad said:
No,I cant.I can't explain here the situation I am in.Thats why I am asking here

This doesn't make any sense. Even if you can't ask anyone, surely your school has an outline of the curriculum!

Worst case scenario that you somehow can't find it, or it doesn't exist, then look at the programs at other schools. They may not be identical to what you need, but at least you have an idea of the type of courses that a typical NE undergraduate will go through.

I did a quick check at UW-Madison, which has an established NE program, and I easily found this:

https://www.engr.wisc.edu/app/uploads/2017/09/NE-UGguide_Fall2017_09.24.17_fnl.pdf
http://guide.wisc.edu/courses/n_e/

So did you look and search?

Zz.

I don't think there is a straight answer to your question. Different nuclear engineering courses will require different math backgrounds. The material in the sophomore level classes will generally not require differential equations (DE's). Material in the junior level classes will generally require DE's, but you might be able to get by if the instructor gives you the general forms of the solutions for the DE's. Once you get to your senior level courses, you will be expected to have DE's.

To find out which math courses are required for each course, your best bet is to look up the course in the university catalog.

Related to Guidelines so that I can get started with Reactor physics?

1. What is reactor physics?

Reactor physics is a branch of nuclear engineering that deals with the study of the behavior and characteristics of nuclear reactors, including the design, operation, and safety analysis.

2. What are the key principles of reactor physics?

The key principles of reactor physics include neutron transport, nuclear reactions, radioactive decay, heat transfer, and fluid mechanics.

3. What are some common reactor types?

Some common reactor types include pressurized water reactors (PWR), boiling water reactors (BWR), gas-cooled reactors (GCR), and fast breeder reactors (FBR).

4. What are some important considerations in reactor design?

Important considerations in reactor design include reactor fuel type, coolant type, moderator material, control systems, and safety features.

5. How does reactor physics play a role in nuclear power generation?

Reactor physics is essential in the design, operation, and safety of nuclear power plants. It helps determine the optimal conditions for sustained and controlled nuclear reactions, which produce heat that is converted into electricity.