What are the origins of kissing?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the origin of kissing is the pre-digestive chewing of food by a mother for her baby. The practice can still be found in some primitive cultures, and of course in other animals.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I know one answer to this that is claimed as the correct one. But just for fun, I thought I would throw this our as a trivia question. So if anyone else knows, have at it. If not, I thought it might be fun to see if anyone can figure it out.

Biology news on Phys.org
Oh geez, I guess there could be all kinds of different evolutionary reasons... Aside from which, you haven't said exactly what kind of kissing you are talking about (as in, between mates, or between a parent and her children).

There is nothing inherently natural about kissing. Kissing is entirely cultural. I believe kissing was invented by the Romans.

You should read Tom Robbin's Jitterbug Perfume. It's quite an entertaining story, and it covers what people did before there was kissing.

eNtRopY

Originally posted by Mentat
Oh geez, I guess there could be all kinds of different evolutionary reasons... Aside from which, you haven't said exactly what kind of kissing you are talking about (as in, between mates, or between a parent and her children).

It seems that both forms have the same origin. But it also would seem that one came before the other. Also, Entropy, it is not cultural in its origins; at least not by this example.

in order to better move food around in our mouth and feel what it is we are eating, we developed highly sensitive nerves on the lips. it thus seems to follow naturally that humans in a culture would find a way to take advantage of this pleasurable sensation. just as humans also learned that the genitals are highly sensitive and perceptive to touchand, and give pleasurable feelings upon being touched, so they did with the lips.

It could go back as far as 100s of millions of years ago possibly even pre dino.

Originally posted by TENYEARS
It could go back as far as 100s of millions of years ago possibly even pre dino.

We do see the origins of this in some species today.

Edit: We also still see the origins of this in a handful or less of primitive human cultures. This is how the determination was made.

Last edited:
No kissing is a learned custom. It is not inherent behavior. If it were, then we would expect to find that every single culture would instinctively kiss. Furthermore, they would kiss the same way. We can find counter-examples for these two statements. Therefore, kissing is not as natural as you think it is.

Sex, on the other hand, is a completely different story.

eNtRopY

Might kissing be a way to boost your immune system? Check for compatibilty based on some excreted chemicals?

Yes, IIRC you are right Monique, I can't remember where I heard this but I do remember hearin this (or something simlair).

Since this seems to be racing towards debate, I will fess up and yield the floor.

I saw a National Geographic special that addressed this issue. According to the program, this explanation is the one generally accepted. It was actually about the academic journey to answer this question. I saw this about 8 or 10 years ago.

The answer is: Baby food. The origin of kissing is the pre-digestive chewing of food by a mother for her baby. She then feeds the baby by direct exchange...so to speak. This practice can still be found in some primitive cultures; and of course in other animals.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Since this seems to be racing towards debate, I will fess up and yield the floor.

I saw a National Geographic special that addressed this issue. According to the program, this explanation is the one generally accepted. It was actually about the academic journey to answer this question. I saw this about 8 or 10 years ago.

The answer is: Baby food. The origin of kissing is the pre-digestive chewing of food by a mother for her baby. She then feeds the baby by direct exchange...so to speak. This practice can still be found in some primitive cultures; and of course in other animals.

Ah-ha, and so the evolution of kissing between mates is a side-effect then, right?

Originally posted by Mentat
Ah-ha, and so the evolution of kissing between mates is a side-effect then, right?

This is how I understood things. I think this may also be done at times for the sick or injured...eh,I don't quite remember the details here.

Edit: I find it interesting that with this explanation, we must throw out all preconceived romantic notions about kissing, and recognize its true origins - life itself. No wonder it evolved into a romantic concept. :wink:

Last edited:
who cares where it came from...IT'S JUST PLAIN FUN

Originally posted by Kerrie
who cares where it came from...IT'S JUST PLAIN FUN

But you must admit that in the bad old days, you really had to love someone if kissing was involved. ABC don't work for me!

I believe it is chemically created as a response to pheremones. It exists in other animials and probably in ones which are now extinct even possibly fish. A woman I was once around walked by me. As she did she nearly spun my head off it was not her attractiveness in terms of outter beauty athough she was pretty, but something like a smell but almost magnetic not like perfume but a hundrend times stronger. I approched her containing myself and asked what perfume are you wearing, none she said with a smile it's my scent.

I also believe although I have never read it that people who were of an ingiginous blood through evolution have phermones more readily picked up by members of that breeding area. She was of my area of decent.

1. What is the earliest evidence of kissing in human history?

The earliest evidence of kissing dates back to ancient Vedic Sanskrit texts from India, around 1500 BCE. These texts describe the act of kissing as a gesture of affection and love.

2. Are there any scientific explanations for why humans kiss?

There are several theories about the origins of kissing, but no definitive scientific explanation. Some believe it evolved as a way to exchange pheromones and assess potential mates, while others think it may have originated from prehistoric mothers chewing food and passing it to their infants.

3. Do all cultures engage in kissing?

Kissing is not a universal behavior and varies across cultures. Some cultures, such as the Inuit, do not have a kissing tradition at all. However, the act of kissing is found in most societies and is a common expression of affection and love in many cultures.

4. Is kissing only a human behavior?

No, kissing has been observed in other animal species, such as bonobos, dolphins, and some birds. However, the act of kissing in these species differs from human kissing and is often used for grooming or social bonding.

5. Has the purpose of kissing changed over time?

The purpose of kissing has evolved over time and varies among cultures. In ancient times, it was often used as a show of respect or submission, while in modern times it is seen as a romantic and intimate gesture. Additionally, the meaning and significance of kissing can differ between individuals and relationships.