Guide to math needed to study physics

In summary, the recommended mathematics courses for studying Theoretical Physics go beyond the official requirements, and include Calculus 1, 2, and 3, as well as a combination course of Introduction to Linear Algebra and Differential Equations. It is also helpful to have knowledge of vector calculus and Conic Sections involving integration.
Hamal_Arietis
Hi.
After studied General physics, I want to read some book about Theorical Physics. But Mathematics is very difficult. So can you show me the best way to math needed to study physics? From easy to difficult.
Thanks for helping

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all tell us what math you feel reasonably competent.

Likes Hamal_Arietis
Hamal_Arietis said:
Hi.
After studied General physics, I want to read some book about Theorical Physics. But Mathematics is very difficult. So can you show me the best way to math needed to study physics? From easy to difficult.
Thanks for helping
That was not clear.
Official Mathematics course "requirements" for undergraduate Physics degrees will usually list just Calculus 1,2,3, and a combination course of Introduction to Linear Algebra & Differential equations (if not two actual separate courses). The ACTUAL courses needed for someone who wants to do well go beyond those typically listed program "requirements".

Likes Hamal_Arietis
Calculus 1,2,3? Can you introduce some books about it? I studied vector calculus and I think it in calculus 2. What is calculus 3? I read some books of Theorical Physics about searies, sums, ...And it seems difficult

symbolipoint said:
That was not clear.
Official Mathematics course "requirements" for undergraduate Physics degrees will usually list just Calculus 1,2,3, and a combination course of Introduction to Linear Algebra & Differential equations (if not two actual separate courses). The ACTUAL courses needed for someone who wants to do well go beyond those typically listed program "requirements".
Hamal_Arietis said:
Calculus 1,2,3? Can you introduce some books about it? I studied vector calculus and I think it in calculus 2. What is calculus 3? I read some books of Theorical Physics about searies, sums, ...And it seems difficult
  1. Calculus and Analytic Geometry 1: Limits, Differentiation, Introduction to Integration, Continuity of Functions, academic and applied problem solving
  2. Calculus and Analytic Geometry 2: Techniques of Integration, Sequences and Series, some use of volumes and Integration, Conic Sections involving Integration
  3. Calculus and Analytic Geometry 3: Multivariable Calculus, Vectors and their use with Calculus,... other stuff...

Likes Hamal_Arietis

Related to Guide to math needed to study physics

1. What math concepts are essential for studying physics?

The most essential math concepts for studying physics are algebra, calculus, and trigonometry. In particular, knowledge of derivatives, integrals, and basic trigonometric functions is crucial for understanding and solving problems in physics.

2. Do I need to be a math genius to study physics?

No, you do not need to be a math genius to study physics. While a strong foundation in math is important, what matters more is your ability to think critically and apply mathematical concepts to real-world situations.

3. How much math do I need to know before studying physics?

Before studying physics, it is recommended to have a solid understanding of basic algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. It is also helpful to have some knowledge of pre-calculus and calculus, as these concepts will be used extensively in physics courses.

4. Can I study physics without being good at math?

While it is possible to study physics without being exceptionally good at math, it may be challenging. A strong foundation in math will make understanding and applying physics concepts much easier. It is recommended to work on improving your math skills to succeed in studying physics.

5. How can I improve my math skills for studying physics?

To improve your math skills for studying physics, you can practice regularly, seek help from a tutor or teacher, and use online resources and textbooks. It is also helpful to approach math problems with a logical and analytical mindset, rather than just memorizing formulas and equations.