[Guidance needed]-Compute the Magnitude and Direction of the Resultant Couple

In summary: SigmaF= F1 + F2+ F3 + F4But in the problem it says that the resultant couple goes in the opposite direction. So should it be \SigmaF=F1-F2+F3-F4?
Dellis
Hello again :). here is a very interesting exercise, I attached a picture of the exercise, its a Circle with Forces.

Homework Statement

Compute the Magnitude and Direction of the Resultant Couple acting on the body Shown:

Homework Equations

M=F x D

The Attempt at a Solution

Can you provide some guidance, so far I believe this is 1 part of the process but the rest I am not sure about.

M= 50(3)+50(3)+30(3)+30(3)

M= 50(6)+ 30(6)= 480 ft*lb

Attachments

• Compute the Magnitude and Direction.JPG
    Compute the Magnitude and Direction.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 825
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dellis said:
Hello again :). here is a very interesting exercise, I attached a picture of the exercise, its a Circle with Forces.

Homework Statement

Compute the Magnitude and Direction of the Resultant Couple acting on the body Shown:

Homework Equations

M=F x D
M= F x perpendicular distance from line of action of force to the point about which you are summing moments.

The Attempt at a Solution

Can you provide some guidance, so far I believe this is 1 part of the process but the rest I am not sure about.

M= 50(6)+ 30(6)= 480 lb/ft
That is the process and the resultant couple, however, your units are wrong and you must specify a direction.

Ah ok so I was on the right path there, it should be lb right?...M= 50(3)+50(3)+30(3)+30(3)

M= 50(6)+ 30(6)= 480 lb
How can I specify the direction?, can someone help me with that please.

Last edited:
Dellis said:
Ah ok so I was on the right path there, it should be lb right?...

M= 50(6)+ 30(6)= 480 lb
if M = F x D, and F is in pounds and D is in feet, then the unit for the moment is _______?
How can I specify the direction?, can someone help me with that please.
One way is to specify clockwise or counterclockwise? Or, since moment is a vector, its resultant is either into or out of the page (the 3rd dimension or Z axis), perpendicular to the plane that the couple is in, representing the axis about which the moment is applied,according to the Right Hand Rule.

PhanthomJay said:
if M = F x D, and F is in pounds and D is in feet, then the unit for the moment is _______?[How can I specify the direction?, can someone help me with that please]

One way is to specify clockwise or counterclockwise? Or, since moment is a vector, its resultant is either into or out of the page (the 3rd dimension or Z axis), perpendicular to the plane that the couple is in, representing the axis about which the moment is applied,according to the Right Hand Rule.

Then it should be ft-lb??
Ok in terms of specifying the direction you're saying find the resultant?, then find theta which that would be direction right?, how is that even possible with this circle?.

Do need to take some one of these vector and try to find its resultant or something?, clear up and keep in mind I am on a basic level here.

Last edited:
Seems like Jay went offline...

Can another helper chime in please, specially about the whole direction part of the exercise.He said I got this part of the process goodM= 50(3)+50(3)+30(3)+30(3)

M= 50(6)+ 30(6)= 480 ft-lb
The next step is about direction and he said something there I did not understand.

Last edited:
About direction imagine how it will move. Will it go up down right or will it execute a circular motion?
IT's your job to define the possitive and the negative direction. That means you can say whether clockwise is possitive or negative.

paul232 said:
About direction imagine how it will move. Will it go up down right or will it execute a circular motion?
IT's your job to define the possitive and the negative direction. That means you can say whether clockwise is possitive or negative.

It will do a circular motion TO THE LEFT, the force of 30 lb will push to the left and then the bigger force of 50lb will make the whole rotation happens. Is that a good way of seeing it?, I would need to show that in a calculated manner thought?, since it does say "compute the magnitude(done) and direction)"

Oh btw what about that whole units situation, did I get it right?, its ft-lb correct?...

Last edited:
Suppose the circle in the problem is the top of a tap, and you are opening it with some force. In which direction the top of the tap moves?
That is the direction of the resultant moments.

rl.bhat said:
Suppose the circle in the problem is the top of a tap, and you are opening it with some force. In which direction the top of the tap moves?
That is the direction of the resultant moments.

You open everything by turning to the left, so it moves in the left direction.

Do I just state it like that with words or would I need to do something like this?

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F= F1 + F2+ F3 + F4

30lb + 50 + 30+ 50=

Or Is that^ just a wrong turn?...

What's confusing me is that it states "calculate the magnitude & direction", its making me
think I need to use the forces, ratio and that 60 degree angle lol, damn I need some serious guidance here.

Last edited:
Dellis said:
You open everything by turning to the left, so it moves in the left direction.

Do I just state it like that with words or would I need to do something like this?

In your problem, the circle is being turned to the left, so how does the top of the tap move? Up or down? Whatever the answer is, you can just say "out of the page" or "into the page" unless the teacher is obsessed with fancy notation.

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F= F1 + F2+ F3 + F4

30lb + 50 + 30+ 50=

Or Is that^ just a wrong turn?...

We're talking about direction here, so you don't need to do that.

What's confusing me is that it states "calculate the magnitude & direction", its making me
think I need to use the forces, ratio and that 60 degree angle lol, damn I need guidance here.

Every vector has a magnitude and direction, so the fact that the question asks for magnitude and direction is being F cross d is a vector. (By the way, ft*lb is the right unit.)

ideasrule said:
In your problem, the circle is being turned to the left, so how does the top of the tap move? Up or down? Whatever the answer is, you can just say "out of the page" or "into the page" unless the teacher is obsessed with fancy notation.

Oh so its just about stating the direction, I guess I can talk to him about it but I would put
"out of page" in this case right?, that's what I vision it doing.

We're talking about direction here, so you don't need to do that.

I was just throwing that out there in the myst of confusion, sorry...

Every vector has a magnitude and direction, so the fact that the question asks for magnitude and direction is being F cross d is a vector. (By the way, ft*lb is the right unit.)

Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up :)

[/QUOTE]

Dellis said:
Oh so its just about stating the direction, I guess I can talk to him about it but I would put
"out of page" in this case right?, that's what I vision it doing.

Yeah, it's out of the page.

ideasrule said:
Yeah, it's out of the page.

Cool, thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Related to [Guidance needed]-Compute the Magnitude and Direction of the Resultant Couple

1. What is a resultant couple?

A resultant couple is a pair of equal and opposite forces that act on an object at different points, causing it to rotate instead of translating. It is also known as a torque or moment.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a resultant couple?

The magnitude of a resultant couple can be calculated by multiplying one of the forces by the perpendicular distance between the forces. This distance is also known as the lever arm or moment arm.

3. What is the direction of a resultant couple?

The direction of a resultant couple is perpendicular to the plane formed by the two forces and follows the right-hand rule. This means that if you curl your fingers in the direction of the first force, your thumb will point in the direction of the resultant couple.

4. What units are used to measure a resultant couple?

A resultant couple is typically measured in Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the SI and imperial system, respectively. These units represent the amount of force applied at a certain distance from the pivot point.

5. How can the magnitude and direction of a resultant couple be used in engineering?

The magnitude and direction of a resultant couple are important in engineering as they can help determine the stability and balance of structures. They are also commonly used in the design of machines and mechanisms, such as gears and levers, to ensure proper functioning and prevent overloading.