Guessing the number of throws required to get a 6 on a fair die

• Thread starter musicgold
  • Start date
In summary, the table below shows the probabilities for getting a 6 in up to 20 throws. The expected number of throws is 6, but it is not a useful guide for predicting when the first six will come up. The best guess for the first throw is 1, but the expected number of throws is calculated by taking into account all possible outcomes, resulting in a mean or average of 6. This can be seen in the fact that the cumulative probability of getting a 6 crosses the 50% mark at around 4 throws.
musicgold
Homework Statement
Not a homework problem. I wanted to find out what is the best guess for the number of throws required to get a 6 on a dice.
Relevant Equations
So I ran a simulation and the results seem counterintutive. See the results below.
The table below shows the probabilities for getting a 6 in up to 20 throws.

1. I know that the expected number of throws is 6, but that number doesn't seem to be a useful guide here, even in the long run. 1 throw seems to be the best guess. What am I missing?

2. The cumulative probability of getting a 6, crosses the 50% mark at around 4. How do we reconcile that fact with the expected number of throws of 6?

Dice simulation.JPG

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The mode, or single most likely outcome, is you get it in the first throw. It matters a lot what you mean when you say "best guess". If you get paid a dollar for guessing exactly how many rolls it takes then you should guess 1. But that's not typically what people mean when they say best guess, they usually mean make a guess which on average is as close as possible, e.g minimizing the sum of the magnitude of your errors.Part 2 is known as the median, and it's also a useful thing you think about sometimes. But suppose you and I gamble. I will pay you five dollars, then you pay me $1 for every roll required to get a six. Even though you will make money more often than I will, when I do make money I will make more of it than you. A lot of the time you will make $1, but sometimes I make $6 and that overwhelms your small quantities over repeated play.

Likes FactChecker
I'm not getting the "counterintuitive" part. Are you, perhaps, confusing rolling the first 6 on the 13th throw with rolling a 6 on any of the first 13 throws?

Likes PeroK
musicgold said:
Homework Statement:: Not a homework problem. I wanted to find out what is the best guess for the number of throws required to get a 6 on a dice.
Relevant Equations:: So I ran a simulation and the results seem counterintutive. See the results below.

The table below shows the probabilities for getting a 6 in up to 20 throws.

1. I know that the expected number of throws is 6, but that number doesn't seem to be a useful guide here, even in the long run. 1 throw seems to be the best guess. What am I missing?

2. The cumulative probability of getting a 6, crosses the 50% mark at around 4. How do we reconcile that fact with the expected number of throws of 6?
1) If you're betting on when the first six will come up, then your best chance is the first throw. Because all you need is to throw a six on the first throw. To get your first six on the nth throw you need ##n-1## throws that are not six and a six on the nth throw. Hence the probabilities reduce quickly, as we can see from your data.

2) You reconcile it by calculating calculating the expected number of throws. Note that expected value has a precise meaning: $$E = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}np(n)$$ That's very different from the mode, which is the most common and in this case is ##1##, and the median which is the midpoint of a distribution and in this case is ##4##. The expected value is also known as the mean. If "expected value" carries too much linguistic baggage for you, then sick to using mean.

Likes Frabjous and musicgold

Related to Guessing the number of throws required to get a 6 on a fair die

1. How many throws are needed on average to get a 6 on a fair die?

The average number of throws required to get a 6 on a fair die is 6. This is because each throw has a 1/6 probability of resulting in a 6, and the expected value of a fair die is equal to the sum of all possible outcomes multiplied by their respective probabilities, which in this case is (1+2+3+4+5+6)/6 = 3.5. Thus, on average, it takes 6 throws to reach a total of 3.5 which is rounded up to 4, and then an additional 2 throws to reach a total of 6.

2. Is it possible to accurately predict the exact number of throws needed to get a 6 on a fair die?

No, it is not possible to accurately predict the exact number of throws needed. While the average number of throws is 6, the actual number of throws needed can vary greatly. This is because each throw is an independent event and the outcome of one throw does not affect the outcome of another. Therefore, it is impossible to predict the exact number of throws required to get a 6.

3. Does the number of throws needed to get a 6 on a fair die change if the die is rolled multiple times in a row?

No, the number of throws needed to get a 6 on a fair die does not change if the die is rolled multiple times in a row. Each throw is still an independent event and the probability of getting a 6 remains the same. However, the total number of throws needed to get a 6 will increase as more throws are made.

4. How does the number of sides on the die affect the number of throws needed to get a 6?

The number of sides on the die does not affect the number of throws needed to get a 6. As long as the die is fair, the probability of getting a 6 remains at 1/6 regardless of the number of sides. However, the average number of throws needed may change depending on the number of sides, as the expected value of a fair die is equal to (n+1)/2, where n is the number of sides. For example, a 10-sided die would have an expected value of (10+1)/2 = 5.5, so on average, it would take 11 throws to get a 6.

5. Are there any strategies that can increase the chances of getting a 6 on a fair die in fewer throws?

No, there are no strategies that can increase the chances of getting a 6 on a fair die in fewer throws. As mentioned before, each throw is an independent event and the outcome is based on chance. There is no way to manipulate the outcome or increase the chances of getting a 6. The only way to decrease the number of throws needed is by increasing the number of throws made.