Growth of Plants in Zero Gravity

In summary: ZeroGravity are wondering about the growth of plants in different conditions, specifically in zero gravity and darkness. Martin mentions that NASA has done experiments on plants growing in weightless conditions and that all experiments on plants grown in darkness have similar results. ZeroGravity clarifies that they are not trying to grow plants in darkness, but rather eliminate sunlight as an indicator of direction. They mention an experiment they did in primary school where grass grew faster in darkness, trying to reach towards the sunlight. They are curious about how plants would know which direction to grow in if there is no light and no gravity. ZeroGravity plans to perform an experiment on a turning plate to see if plants can sense the direction of gravity. In summary, Martin and ZeroGravity are discussing the
ZeroGravity
Hi Folks
I posted this af astronomy and cosmology, but maybe it's more general ...:

Plants, trees, corn etc. all grow upwards, that is in the oppsite direction of the local gravitational field (here disregarding the effect of the sunlight).
If I grow say wheat on a spinning old fashion record player, in total darkness, I should see the wheat growing in direction of the center, with an angle determined by the angular frequenzy and the distance from the center, I am about to perform that experiment.

I was then wondering if anyone knew what would happen if wheat was grewn in zero gravity AND in darkness ??
Does anyone know of experiments performed ?

Regards
Zero Gravity

Martin

Physics news on Phys.org
First, NASA has done many experiments on plants growing in weightless conditions.

Secondly, all experiments on plants grown in darkness (except mushrooms) have pretty much the same result.

... Well I know that NASA has done a lot of experiments, but I just can't find specific experiments reporting growth in zero gravity AND zero light.

The idea is not to grow plants in darkness ...:=)
But to eliminate the sunlight as an indicator direction.

Haven't you done the experinment in promary school where grass
was grewn in total darkness and in sunlight, observing that the one in darkness grew faster (trying to get up into the sunlight).

If there is no light, and no gravitation, how will the plant
"know" in which direction to grow ?

By doing the experiment on the turning plate, you will show that the plant actually "feels" the local direction of gravitation.

Gegards

ZeroGravity
Martin

1. How do plants grow in zero gravity?

Plants require gravity to orient themselves and grow towards the light. In zero gravity, they have to adapt and use other cues, such as air currents and touch, to grow.

2. Can plants survive in zero gravity?

Yes, plants have been shown to survive and even thrive in zero gravity environments. However, they may grow differently and require special conditions and care.

3. Do plants need soil to grow in zero gravity?

No, plants do not necessarily need soil to grow. In fact, there are experiments that have successfully grown plants in nutrient-rich water solutions or in a gel medium in zero gravity.

4. How does zero gravity affect the nutrient uptake of plants?

In zero gravity, the distribution of nutrients and water is more difficult for plants, as there is no gravity to pull them downwards. Special systems, such as hydroponics or aeroponics, have been developed to provide plants with the necessary nutrients in a zero gravity environment.

5. What impact does zero gravity have on the growth rate of plants?

The growth rate of plants in zero gravity can vary depending on the specific plant species and environmental conditions. In some cases, plants may grow faster due to the lack of gravity, which means they do not have to expend energy in fighting against the pull of gravity. In other cases, plants may grow slower due to the challenges of adapting to a zero gravity environment.