Group Theory - Help in learning

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's self-study of group theory and their plan to use the thread for asking questions. The first question posed is about proving that the cyclic group of order q*p can be factorized into the direct product of cyclic groups of order q and p. The conversation also mentions using the Chinese remainder theorem and clarifies that the equality is actually an isomorphism.
Luris
Hi, I'm going through a group theory text on my own, as it is not formally covered in my undergrad curriculum. I've had a good (multiple course) background in the basics, differential equations, linear algebra with Hilbert spaces, etc., in my undergrad coursework in my physics major. I'd like to use this thread in asking some questions in group theory, as I'm learning it from the textbook.

Here is my first question:

Prove: If q and p are prime then the cyclic group of order q*p can be factorized into the direct product of cyclic groups of order q and order p

(Symbolically) Prove: [tex]Z_{qp} = Z_q \times Z_p[/tex]

Since this problem was introduced right after they established the representation where any element in the cyclic group can be represented by a power of [tex]a = exp(2i\pi/N)[/tex], where N is the order of the group, I tried expressing [tex]Z_n = exp(2i\pi/n)[/tex] and then verifying the two sides... and I'm not getting an equality. I'm wondering how to prove it?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think the ingredient you're missing is the Chinese remainder theorem. (http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/ChineseRemainderTheoremProof.html )

By the way, there is a important subtlety you should be aware of: [itex]Z_{qp} = Z_q \times Z_p[/itex] is not an actual equality - it's an isomorphism.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Group Theory - Help in learning

What is Group Theory?

Group Theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the mathematical structures known as groups. These groups are sets of objects that follow a specific set of rules for combining or manipulating them. Group Theory helps us to understand patterns and relationships in mathematics and the world around us.

Why is it important to learn Group Theory?

Group Theory is an important tool in many areas of mathematics, physics, chemistry, and other sciences. It helps us to understand and classify symmetries, transformations, and patterns in nature and the physical world. It also has practical applications in fields such as cryptography and coding theory.

What are the main concepts in Group Theory?

The main concepts in Group Theory include group operations, subgroups, cosets, normal subgroups, and group homomorphisms. Group operations refer to the rules for combining elements of a group, while subgroups are subsets of a group that also form a group. Cosets are subsets of a group that partition the group into equal-sized pieces, and normal subgroups are subgroups that remain unchanged when operated on by the group. Group homomorphisms are functions that preserve group structure.

How can I improve my understanding of Group Theory?

To improve your understanding of Group Theory, it is important to study and practice the main concepts, definitions, and theorems. You can also read textbooks, attend lectures, and participate in group theory exercises and discussions. Additionally, you can seek help from a tutor or join a study group to gain a deeper understanding of the subject.

What are some real-life applications of Group Theory?

Group Theory has various real-life applications, including in crystallography, chemistry, physics, and computer science. It is used to study the symmetries and properties of crystals, molecules, and other physical systems. It also helps in understanding the fundamental forces of nature and the behavior of subatomic particles. In computer science, Group Theory is used in coding theory and cryptography to ensure secure communication and data storage.