Group Theory and Energy Eigenstates in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the language used by physicists to describe the behavior of energy eigenstates in quantum mechanical systems is different from how mathematicians would describe it. When it is stated that "the energy eigenstates transform like irreducible representations of the group G," it means that when the linear operators of irreducible representations of G act on the energy eigenstates, they result in new eigenstates with the same energy. This is because the group G acts on the space of energy eigenstates, represented by vectors in V, which is also acted upon by its Lie algebra. This results in the energy eigenstates being split into irreducible subspaces, which are further split into subspaces that are invariant under the Cartan subalgebra and the root spaces of
praharmitra
I have only recently begun to study group theory from Lie Algebra for Particle Physicists by Georgi. I am slightly confused about the language used by physicists.

What does it mean when the following is stated

"The energy eigenstates transform like irreducible representations of the group G"

(G is a transformation group that is a symmetry of a quantum mechanical system.

Does it mean that if u take irreducible representations of the group G (which are linear operators) and act them on the energy eigenstates, you get new eigenstates with the same energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
The language physicists use in the area is quite a bit different from how mathematicians would say it.

The eigenstates are vectors, say of ##V##. Then the group ##G## as well as its Lie algebra ##\mathfrak{g}## act on ##\mathfrak{gl}(V)## e.g. via the adjoint representations if ##V=\mathfrak{g}##. I assume that we have the latter here, i.e. ##\varphi\, : \,\mathfrak{g} \longrightarrow \mathfrak{gl}(V)##. So if we have any representation ##(V,\varphi)## of ##\mathfrak{g}##, then, since ##\mathfrak{g}## is semisimple, ##V=V^{(1)}\oplus \ldots V^{(m)}## splits into irreducible subspaces ##V^{(k)}##, i.e. ##\{\,0\,\}## and ##V^{(k)}## are the only ##\varphi-##invariant subspaces. Nevertheless, the ##V^{(k)}## split into a direct sum ##V^{(k)}=V^{(k)}_1\oplus \ldots \oplus V^{(k)}_{n_k}## of subspaces which are invariant under the CSA of ##\mathfrak{g}## and the root spaces of ##\mathfrak{g}## shift vectors from on ##V^{(k)}_i## to another ##V^{(k)}_j##. The energy eigenstates are represented by those irreducible components ##V^{(k)}##.

Related to Group Theory and Energy Eigenstates in Quantum Mechanics

1. What is group theory?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and structures of groups, which are sets of elements that can be combined together in specific ways. It is a fundamental concept in abstract algebra and has applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and computer science.

2. What are the basic components of a group?

A group consists of a set of elements, a binary operation that defines how these elements can be combined together, and a set of axioms that govern the behavior of the group under the operation. These axioms include closure, associativity, identity element, and inverse element.

3. What is the significance of group theory in science?

Group theory is a powerful tool in understanding and describing symmetries in nature. It has applications in quantum mechanics, crystallography, and the study of molecular structures. It is also used in data analysis and machine learning algorithms.

4. What are some common examples of groups?

Some common examples of groups include the integers with addition as the binary operation, the non-zero real numbers with multiplication, and the rotations of a regular polygon. Other examples include the symmetries of geometric shapes, the permutations of a set, and the elements of a finite field.

5. How does group theory relate to other branches of mathematics?

Group theory has connections to many other branches of mathematics, such as geometry, topology, and number theory. It is also closely related to other areas of abstract algebra, including ring theory and field theory. Many mathematical concepts and structures can be described and understood through the lens of group theory.