Group delay measurement using Michelson Interferometer

In summary, Bob is trying to measure the group delay of dielectric mirrors. He has found only papers that point mainly to use a Michelson interferometer using white light interferometry. He is having trouble finding resources on how to modify it to measure group delay. He is also having trouble finding information on how to measure the group delay from the interference pattern that is produced from the interferometer.
sweat100
For my undergraduate project, I have been tasked to measure group delay of dielectric mirrors. I have found only papers that point mainly to use a Michelson interferometer using white light interferometry. I have googled and found how to construct a standard Michelson interferometer. However I am having trouble in finding resources on how to modify it to measure group delay. In addition, how can I measure the group delay from the interferogram that is produced from the interferometer?
Any books and resources on group delay measurement is highly appreciated. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Why dielectric mirrors? Do you mean "back surface" silvered dielectric mirrors, as opposed to "front surface" mirrors? How accurate will your measurements be? Are you just doing a mirror comparison, or trying to measure the aether effect better?

Bob S said:
Why dielectric mirrors? Do you mean "back surface" silvered dielectric mirrors, as opposed to "front surface" mirrors? How accurate will your measurements be? Are you just doing a mirror comparison, or trying to measure the aether effect better?

Hi Bob, the aim of the project is to characterize dispersive properties of mirrors. I have a mirror that was coated with SiO2 and Si3N4 as thin film on Si substrate. So one side is side is reflective the other side isnt. In the interferometer I will use a standard reference mirror in one arm and the dispersive mirror in the other. I wish to be able to get group delay from the interference pattern by that is produced.

If you are using a white light interferometer, you should be measuring the group delay without any adjustment to your setup. Phase delay only applies to a single wavelength light source, and you have a multiple wavelength (broadband) light source. When you take your measurement, you will be measuring the group velocity, the velocity of the wave packet. This is opposed to measuring the phase velocity, which is the velocity of the light itself.

invisigo said:
If you are using a white light interferometer, you should be measuring the group delay without any adjustment to your setup. Phase delay only applies to a single wavelength light source, and you have a multiple wavelength (broadband) light source. When you take your measurement, you will be measuring the group velocity, the velocity of the wave packet. This is opposed to measuring the phase velocity, which is the velocity of the light itself.

I am using a white light interferometer to do the measurement. I seen from the papers that there are many variations to the experiment that confuses me. (Some have used Fourier transform, some used tunable filter etc)

What would be a good way to measure the group delay from the interference patter? Assuming I have the interferometer setup using a white light source and the interference pattern is projected to a wall or captured with a CCD camera.
The main hurdle I am facing now is given the pattern, how am I going to use it to get group delay. I have not come across any books that can give a description on that.

Lambduh said:
Look here for a brief introduction to group delay and a couple of references to papers including one for measuring group delay using a white light interferometer.

http://www.rp-photonics.com/group_delay.html

Thanks for the link :smile: I have been though the place and looked at the reference papers. The paper describes what modification they did to the experiment and the results, but there wasnt much mentioned about how they actually did the experiment and processed the data from the interferogram. That is the missing jig saw puzzle in my confused mind. :confused:

If you have access to an FTIR (Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometer, i.e. a Michelson interferometer with a movable arm that can measure spectra from the near-IR to the far-IR), I would think that would make your measurement that much easier. Basically, I think you could simply measure the broadband transmission spectrum of your sample, and do some post-processing to extract out the information you need. Someone in your materials science department is guaranteed to have one, especially if they have some sort of shared facility.

Manchot said:
If you have access to an FTIR (Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometer, i.e. a Michelson interferometer with a movable arm that can measure spectra from the near-IR to the far-IR), I would think that would make your measurement that much easier. Basically, I think you could simply measure the broadband transmission spectrum of your sample, and do some post-processing to extract out the information you need. Someone in your materials science department is guaranteed to have one, especially if they have some sort of shared facility.
Thanks for the insights, I will need to go read up how FTIR works and see how can I apply it to measure group delay. Hopefully I can find one at the material science department.

Hi I need help on a project of graphene photo detector by using FTIR spectrometer but I'm not sure how to set up equipments. I wonder if someone can help me.

Thanks

Runo,
welcome to PF.

You can start a new post in the appropriate forum ( for your question this'd be Atomic-Solid State section) to get a better response.

Thanks

Related to Group delay measurement using Michelson Interferometer

1. What is a Michelson Interferometer?

A Michelson Interferometer is a scientific instrument used to measure the time delay between two light waves. It consists of a beam splitter, two mirrors, and a detector. The beam splitter splits a single beam of light into two paths, which are then reflected by the mirrors and recombined at the detector. The interference pattern created by the recombined light can be used to measure the delay between the two paths.

2. How does a Michelson Interferometer measure group delay?

A Michelson Interferometer measures group delay by comparing the delay between two light waves passing through different paths in the interferometer. By analyzing the interference pattern created by the recombined light, the difference in delay between the two paths can be calculated. This difference in delay is known as the group delay.

3. What is group delay and why is it important?

Group delay is the time delay between different frequency components of a signal. It is an important measurement in the field of optics and telecommunications, as it can affect the quality of signal transmission. Group delay can also provide information about the dispersion of a material, which is useful in materials testing and research.

4. How accurate is group delay measurement using a Michelson Interferometer?

The accuracy of group delay measurement using a Michelson Interferometer depends on various factors such as the quality of the instrument, the stability of the light source, and the precision of the detector. With a high-quality instrument and proper calibration, group delay measurements can be accurate to within nanoseconds.

5. What are some applications of group delay measurement using a Michelson Interferometer?

Michelson Interferometers are commonly used in telecommunications and optics industries for measuring group delay in optical fibers, components, and devices. They are also used in materials research to study the dispersion of materials. Additionally, Michelson Interferometers have been used in the field of astronomy for measuring the distance and size of celestial objects.