Group Action and a Cartesian Product

In summary: Suppose a group G acts on a set X and a set Y. A simple group action on the cartesian product (X x Y) would be defined as:G x (X x Y) --> (X x Y)To prove that this is a group action, we can consider two elements g1 and g2 in G. Then, g1*(g2*(x,y)) = (g1*g2)(x,y) = (g1*g2(x), g1*g2(y)) = (g1*(x,y), g2*(x,y)), which follows the definition of the group action. This can also be verified for the operation on y in Y.To clarify, when g operates on y
chaotixmonjuish
Suppose a group G and it acts on a set X and a set Y.

(a) A simple group action on the cartesian product would be defined as such:

G x (X x Y) --> (X x Y)

to prove this is a group action could I just do this:

Suppose a g1 and g2 in G. g1*(g2*(x,y))=g1*g2(x). This is obvious. Basically is the proof extremely easy. I just grabbed this example out of a book and was wondering if I am close.

Physics news on Phys.org
chaotixmonjuish said:
Suppose a group G and it acts on a set X and a set Y.

(a) A simple group action on the cartesian product would be defined as such:

G x (X x Y) --> (X x Y)

to prove this is a group action could I just do this:

Suppose a g1 and g2 in G. g1*(g2*(x,y))=g1*g2(x). This is obvious. Basically is the proof extremely easy. I just grabbed this example out of a book and was wondering if I am close.

Not sure what your question is but you seem to have a typo in your last equation.

g.(x,y) = (g.x,g.y) works on the direct product. Verify this directly.

I guess the question is asking for me to define and prove a very general and simple action on that cartesian product.

Yeah, basically you just need to show that g1*(g2*(x))=(g1*g2)(x) and g1*(g2*(y))=(g1*g2)(y), which is really what the definition states. I think.

For the sake of group theory, when g operates on y in Y, would it need to be using a different operator such as '$'

Related to Group Action and a Cartesian Product

1. What is a group action?

A group action is a mathematical concept that describes how a group (a set of elements with a binary operation) interacts with another set through a specific operation. It is used to study symmetry and transformations in various mathematical structures.

2. What is a Cartesian product?

A Cartesian product is an operation that combines two sets to form a new set, where each element in the new set is an ordered pair consisting of an element from each of the original sets. It is often used in set theory and algebra to represent relationships between two sets.

3. How are group action and Cartesian product related?

Group action and Cartesian product are related in that a group action can be defined on a Cartesian product of sets. This means that the group can act on the elements of the Cartesian product in a way that preserves the group operation.

4. What is the significance of group action and Cartesian product in algebra?

Group action and Cartesian product are important concepts in algebra as they provide a way to study the structure and symmetries of groups. They also have applications in other areas of mathematics, such as geometry and topology.

5. How are group action and Cartesian product used in real-world applications?

Group action and Cartesian product have many real-world applications, such as in computer graphics, cryptography, and physics. They can also be used to analyze data and model complex systems in fields such as economics and biology.