Grounding problem? Wave attenuates when I plug in USB.

In summary, The conversation discusses a PIC-based system with ADC and USB capabilities that is being powered by the USB. The speaker is trying to connect a function generator to the system but is experiencing severe signal attenuation when the three grounds (board, USB, and function generator) are united. They seek help in understanding this issue and suggest explaining the circuit and layout in more detail.
KingNothing
Hi all. I have a nice little PIC-based system built onto a breadboard. It has ADC and USB capabilities. I wish to connect a function generator to one of the ADC input pins of the PIC to feed it a sine wave. The board is powered by the USB. However, whenever the three grounds are united (board ground, USB ground, function generator ground), the signal gets severely attenuated to where is it barely recognizable.

Can anyone help explain this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
When you plug in the USB plug, the signal vanishes?

But the circuit is being supplied with power by the USB.

So, what is powering it before you plug in the USB?

Maybe you need to explain your circuit and layout a bit more.

Related to Grounding problem? Wave attenuates when I plug in USB.

1. What is "grounding problem" and how does it affect my electronics?

The grounding problem refers to the lack of a proper electrical connection between an electronic device and the ground. This can cause unwanted electrical currents to flow through the device, leading to malfunctions or even damage.

2. How can I tell if my device has a grounding problem?

One way to check for a grounding problem is to observe if there is a noticeable difference in the device's performance when it is plugged in versus when it is running on battery power. If there is a significant improvement when not plugged in, it could be a sign of a grounding issue.

3. Why does the wave attenuate when I plug in a USB device?

When you plug in a USB device, it creates a new electrical connection between your device and the ground. This can cause a change in the electrical flow, which can lead to attenuation or weakening of the electrical wave.

4. How can I fix a grounding problem in my electronic device?

The best way to fix a grounding problem is to ensure that your device is properly grounded. You can do this by using a three-pronged plug and making sure that the outlet you are using is also grounded. If the problem persists, it is best to seek professional help.

5. Can a grounding problem be dangerous?

Yes, a grounding problem can be dangerous as it can cause electrical shocks, fires, or damage to your electronic devices. It is important to address any grounding issues as soon as possible to prevent any potential hazards.