Grounding Op-Amp circuit exercise

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a physics problem and receiving guidance from another person on a forum. The student encounters difficulty with certain questions involving capacitors and MOSFETs, but is able to work through them with the help of the other person. The last question involves calculating the average AC current for a specific scenario, and the student and helper discuss the waveform and how to calculate the RMS voltage. The helper also provides advice on posting multiple threads for the same problem and avoiding clutter.
Weaver

Homework Statement

IMG_20181108_133527.jpg

IMG_20181108_133539.jpg

IMG_20181108_133545.jpg

IMG_20181108_133558.jpg

2. Homework Equations
3. The Attempt at a Solution

For the first set of questions:
part1.jpg

part2.jpg

part3.jpg

part4.jpg

I've worked through to part 6), at which is I encountered my first problem. I'm not entirely sure what the question is asking. Is it as if there would be a capacitor between Q1 and X1? Is the voltage to be reduced the one calculated in part 5)?

Moving on from that

part5.jpg

I am also unsure about part 9) and 10). We haven't really covered MOSFETs in lectures so these two questions are a bit lost on me. Do I use the frequency, current and resistance to get the average value?

AnswerSheet2.jpg

For the second answer sheet for I haven't worked out 5), 7), 9), 12) However I am working on this right now. I will probably have questions later on this

I don't want the answers, but rather help on what methods I should be doing or perhaps pointers to resources that would help

Also, I'm not even certain what I have done is correct

I appreciate any help

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• IMG_20181108_133527.jpg
    IMG_20181108_133527.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 807
  • IMG_20181108_133539.jpg
    IMG_20181108_133539.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 893
  • IMG_20181108_133545.jpg
    IMG_20181108_133545.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 817
  • IMG_20181108_133558.jpg
    IMG_20181108_133558.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 813
  • part5.jpg
    part5.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 482
  • part4.jpg
    part4.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 530
  • part3.jpg
    part3.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 523
  • part2.jpg
    part2.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 519
  • part1.jpg
    part1.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 596
  • AnswerSheet2.jpg
    AnswerSheet2.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 528
Physics news on Phys.org
Those images under attempt at a solution are too poor quality to read. You probably won't get any answers until you post something more legible.

Likes Weaver
anorlunda said:
Those images under attempt at a solution are too poor quality to read. You probably won't get any answers until you post something more legible.
Thanks for that. I'm at uni, so I don't have access to a scanner. I will update them later tonight

AnswerSheet2_1.jpg

AnswerSheet2_2_1.jpg.jpg

AnswerSheet2_2.jpg

AnswerSheet2_3.jpg

AnswerSheet2.jpg

Attachments

• AnswerSheet2_3.jpg
    AnswerSheet2_3.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 475
  • AnswerSheet2_2_1.jpg.jpg
    AnswerSheet2_2_1.jpg.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 451
  • AnswerSheet2_2.jpg
    AnswerSheet2_2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 493
  • AnswerSheet2_1.jpg
    AnswerSheet2_1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 449
  • AnswerSheet2.jpg
    AnswerSheet2.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Conor_B said:
Thanks for that. I'm at uni, so I don't have access to a scanner. I will update them later tonight
]
I've decided to make smaller threads asking about the problems i have been having more specifically with typed solutions (my scanner broke) so that it is easier to follow. I would delete this thread, but I don't know how

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/calculate-current-following-in-op-amp-to-ground.959831/

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/decoupling-capacitor-for-pcb-track.959829/

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/ground-current-for-voltage-regulator.959832/

Last edited:
It was a mistake to have several threads running on the same problem.

Regarding the capacitor on X1 Q1... they are talking about a decoupling capacitor you need to add. It would be on the 24V rail. See my reply in your other thread where I mention ripple currents.

Likes Weaver
CWatters said:
It was a mistake to have several threads running on the same problem.

Regarding the capacitor on X1 Q1... they are talking about a decoupling capacitor you need to add. It would be on the 24V rail. See my reply in your other thread where I mention ripple currents.
Apologies for that. I thought it might help break up the question. I won't do it again. Thanks for replying in the other forum

I haven't looked at your working for 1-6 properly but..

For 9. It asks you to calculate the voltage drop down a typical PCB trace due to the 10mA FET gate current. Use the frequency you calculated in 8.

EDIT: In case it's not obvious this current flows in and out of the MBED power/ground pins on it's way to/from the FET gate.

For 10: Similar to Q6

Likes Weaver
CWatters said:
I haven't looked at your working for 1-6 properly but..

For 9. It asks you to calculate the voltage drop down a typical PCB trace due to the 10mA FET gate current. Use the frequency you calculated in 8.

EDIT: In case it's not obvious this current flows in and out of the MBED power/ground pins on it's way to/from the FET gate.

For 10: Similar to Q6

Thank you very much! I get and I think I have those out figured. When it asks average AC, does that mean RMS?
I’ve followed through with the rest of the questions. The last one I have a problem with the op amp ground current

Should there be a value in a data sheet for this? Or is it calculated?

If it’s calculated, at worse case, the op amp will have 0V at it’s In(+) so no voltage appears at the output. So at this point it is just the supply current into the op amp?

Conor_B said:
Thank you very much! I get and I think I have those out figured. When it asks average AC, does that mean RMS?

That's what I would answer. Not sure why they ask for that as it's the peak to peak that more important.

Edit: Earlier they suggest you model the output as a 10mA current source feeding the gate capacitance of the FET. So perhaps think carefully about the waveform and how you do the rms calculation.

Last edited:
Likes Weaver
Conor_B said:
The last one I have a problem with the op amp ground current

Should there be a value in a data sheet for this? Or is it calculated?

If it’s calculated, at worse case, the op amp will have 0V at it’s In(+) so no voltage appears at the output. So at this point it is just the supply current into the op amp?

I agree.

Likes Weaver
CWatters said:
That's what I would answer. Not sure why they ask for that as it's the peak to peak that more important.

Edit: Earlier they suggest you model the output as a 10mA current source feeding the gate capacitance of the FET. So perhaps think carefully about the waveform and how you do the rms calculation.

Right, so the waveform is generated from the resistance and inductance of the the PCB with the ripple current produced from the MOSEFT. In this case is the Vripple close to a square
waveform as it is the MOSFET switching?

(By the way, I really appreciate all the help you've given)

No isn't this Q9 where they ask about the MPEG average AC current? Eg due to the FET gate current not the source/drain current.

What I was hinting at is that a constant current (10mA) driving a capacitor (FET gate) produces a triangle wave

Last edited:
Likes Weaver
Actually forget that. The gate voltage will be a triangle wave but the ripple on the supply voltage will be a square wave as it's the constant 10mA * PCB trace impedance.

Likes Weaver
CWatters said:
Actually forget that. The gate voltage will be a triangle wave but the ripple on the supply voltage will be a square wave as it's the constant 10mA * PCB trace impedance.

Okay, so as it's a square wave, the Vrms is just the peak voltage in this case?

Likes CWatters
Yes that would be my answer for that question.

Likes Weaver
CWatters said:
Yes that would be my answer for that question.
Great! Thank you for all the help you've given. Definitely helped improve my understanding! Really appreciate it

Related to Grounding Op-Amp circuit exercise

1. What is a grounding Op-Amp circuit exercise?

A grounding Op-Amp circuit exercise is a practical training exercise that simulates the behavior of an operational amplifier (Op-Amp) circuit with a grounded input. It is commonly used in electronics courses to demonstrate the principles of grounding and signal amplification.

2. How does a grounding Op-Amp circuit work?

In a grounding Op-Amp circuit, the input signal is grounded, meaning it is connected to the reference potential of the circuit. This allows the Op-Amp to amplify the difference between the input and the reference potential, resulting in an amplified output signal.

3. What are the benefits of performing a grounding Op-Amp circuit exercise?

Performing a grounding Op-Amp circuit exercise allows students to gain hands-on experience with circuit design, analysis, and troubleshooting. It also helps them understand the important role of grounding in electronic circuits and how it affects signal amplification.

4. What are some common challenges when performing a grounding Op-Amp circuit exercise?

Some common challenges when performing a grounding Op-Amp circuit exercise may include selecting appropriate components, understanding the behavior of the Op-Amp in different configurations, and troubleshooting any unexpected results in the circuit.

5. How can a grounding Op-Amp circuit exercise be applied in real-world applications?

A grounding Op-Amp circuit exercise is a fundamental building block in many electronic circuits. It can be applied in various applications such as audio amplifiers, filters, and signal conditioning circuits. Understanding the principles behind this exercise can also help in designing more complex circuits for specific applications.