Ground-state wave function

In summary, the conversation discusses using the ground-state wave function of the simple harmonic oscillator to find Xav, (X^2)av, and deltaX. The normalization constant A is given, and the integral of the wavefunction is used to find Xav. The conversation also clarifies that <x>=Xav requires inserting an x into the integral, and that using Psi^2 is necessary for this calculation.
GreenLRan

Homework Statement

Use the ground-state wave function of the simple harmonic oscillator to find: Xav, (X^2)av and deltaX. Use the normalization constant A= (m*omegao/(h_bar*pi))^1/4.

Homework Equations

deltaX=sqrt((X^2)av-(Xav)^2)

wavefunc=A*e^(-ax^2) ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if I'm on the right path, but I started out by plugging in A and doing the integral of the wavefunction. My question is... does doing this give me Xav? If not, how would I go about solving this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you plug the right A in and do the integral of [tex]\psi^* \psi[/tex] you should get 1. It's normalized. Getting <x>=Xav? requires inserting an x into the integral.

[tex]<f(x)>=\int \psi^*(x) f(x) \psi(x) dx[/tex]

Last edited:
Of course, you know you need to use Psi^2.

Meir Achuz said:
Of course, you know you need to use Psi^2.

I said that in a pretty sloppy way. I've edited the post to clarify.

Related to Ground-state wave function

What is a ground-state wave function?

A ground-state wave function is a mathematical representation of the lowest energy state of a quantum system. It describes the probability amplitude of finding a particle in a particular position, and is used to calculate other properties of the system such as energy and momentum.

How is a ground-state wave function different from other wave functions?

A ground-state wave function is unique in that it represents the lowest energy state of a system, while other wave functions may represent excited states with higher energy levels. Additionally, a ground-state wave function is usually a stationary state, meaning it does not change over time.

What factors affect the shape of a ground-state wave function?

The shape of a ground-state wave function is determined by the potential energy of the system. A steep potential energy well will result in a more compact wave function, while a shallow well will result in a more spread out wave function.

How is the ground-state wave function used in quantum mechanics?

The ground-state wave function is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate various properties of a system, such as energy, momentum, and probability of finding a particle in a particular location. It is also used to study the behavior of particles in quantum systems and make predictions about their behavior.

Can a ground-state wave function be visualized?

Although a ground-state wave function is a mathematical concept, it can be represented visually through a probability density plot. This plot shows the probability of finding a particle in different regions of space, giving a visual representation of the shape of the wave function.