Ground state energy of particle in quantum harmonic oscillator.

In summary, the conversation discusses the quantum mechanical particle in a potential V(x) = 1/2mω2x2 and its ground state energy. The ground state energy is the lowest discrete energy level and is determined by the Hamiltonian operator. The ground state wave function is gaussian and the particle is most likely to be located at x=0. The correct answer is B.
Lengalicious

Homework Statement

Consider a quantum mechanical particle moving in a potential V(x) = 1/2mω2x2. When this particle is in
the state of lowest energy,
A: it has zero energy
B: is located at x = 0
C: has a vanishing wavefunction
D: none of the above

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok from what i know, all energy levels of the particle traveling through the harmonic potential are discrete, and as i understand, the lowest of these discrete energies is the ground state energy but i don't quite understand how this energy is determined? The ground state energy is not zero right? Because if the ground state energy was zero then there would be no wave function in the 1st place right? Also the ground state wave function of the particle when normalised forms a probability density in the form of an upside down porabola almost with exponential decay on both sides, from this you can conclude that the particle is most likely to be at the center or (x=0), so i think the correct answer is B, is my understanding and answer correct or not? If not can someone explain where I am going wrong please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, ground state is the lowest energy. The energies are determined as solutions (observables) to the hamiltonian operator. So actually, the ground state is the first eigenvalue (the first energy), and I'm pretty sure anything that would not have the first eigenvalue be the lowest energy would be unphysical. In the case of the harmonic oscillator, you'd determine the eigenvalues (energies) with ladder operators (I remember there are some power series methods too, but those are messy/brute force).

You could have a zero ground state. I can't really think of an example where a system typically has a zero ground state, but you could. I mean, to some extent the actual 'value' of the energies is completely arbitrary, it's the separation between the energies, their form, that matters.

The ground state wave function is gaussian.

Related to Ground state energy of particle in quantum harmonic oscillator.

1. What is meant by "ground state energy" in the context of a quantum harmonic oscillator?

The ground state energy of a particle in a quantum harmonic oscillator refers to the lowest possible energy level that the particle can occupy.

2. How is the ground state energy of a particle in a quantum harmonic oscillator calculated?

The ground state energy can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles. This equation takes into account the potential energy of the harmonic oscillator and the kinetic energy of the particle.

3. What factors affect the value of the ground state energy in a quantum harmonic oscillator?

The ground state energy is affected by the mass of the particle, the frequency of the oscillator, and the strength of the potential energy. It is also dependent on the Planck constant, which is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics.

4. Can the ground state energy of a particle in a quantum harmonic oscillator be negative?

No, the ground state energy cannot be negative. In quantum mechanics, energy levels are always positive or zero.

5. How does the ground state energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator compare to the energy of a classical harmonic oscillator?

In a classical harmonic oscillator, the energy can take on any value, whereas in a quantum harmonic oscillator, the energy is quantized and can only take on discrete values. The ground state energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator is also typically lower than the minimum energy of a classical harmonic oscillator.