Ground State Energy of an Electron

In summary, this equation is based on the Bohr atom for energy levels. The version I wrote above is for n=1. The development in the text I'm using:
jbowers9
This is what I've tried to work out and I'm not getting -13.7 eV. What am I doing wrong?

E 2 Π m e^4 / (4 Π ε0 )^2 h^2 6.90E-19 J=4.31eV

m 9.11 x 10-31 kg 9.11E-31
e 1.60 x 10-19 C 1.60E-19
ε0 8.85 x 10-12 C2/Nm2 8.85E-12
h 6.63 x 10-34 J S 6.63E-34

1 joule = 6.24150974 × 10^18 electron volts

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry but I have absolutely no idea what that equation is supposed to be, or where you got it from. Try TeXing it perhaps? How did you arrive at it?

Need more information, have no idea what you're saying.

The equation is based on the Bohr atom for energy levels. The version I wrote above is for n=1. The development in the text I'm using:

AUTHOR Mortimer, Robert G.
TITLE Physical chemistry / Robert G. Mortimer.
PUB INFO San Diego, Calif. : Academic Press, c2000.
pgs. 511-520 roughly

uses En = 2 Π m e4 / n2 (4 Π ε0 )2 h2

When I plug in the constants, n=1, the value is off from 13.7 eV, after conversion from Joules, by a factor of 3.14, as if Pi doesn't belong in the denominator. I'm thinking that it is already included in the permitivity constant ε0.

jbowers9 said:
The equation is based on the Bohr atom for energy levels. The version I wrote above is for n=1. The development in the text I'm using:

AUTHOR Mortimer, Robert G.
TITLE Physical chemistry / Robert G. Mortimer.
PUB INFO San Diego, Calif. : Academic Press, c2000.
pgs. 511-520 roughly

uses En = 2 Π m e4 / n2 (4 Π ε0 )2 h2

When I plug in the constants, n=1, the value is off from 13.7 eV, after conversion from Joules, by a factor of 3.14, as if Pi doesn't belong in the denominator. I'm thinking that it is already included in the permitivity constant ε0.

I presume you mean [tex]E_n = \frac{2 \pi m_e e^4}{n^2 (4 \pi \epsilon_{0}) h^2}[/tex]

Incidentally, my quantum mech book gives the equation for the energy according to the Bohr model as [tex]\frac{m_e Z^2 e^4}{(4 \pi \epsilon_0)^2 2 \hbar^2}\frac{1}{n^2}[/tex]

so you're missing a factor of [tex]2 \pi[/tex] up top and you're missing a 2 from down below... in other words, you're missing a factor of pi. Which is what you say you're missing. =)

Related to Ground State Energy of an Electron

1. What is the ground state energy of an electron?

The ground state energy of an electron refers to the lowest possible energy level that an electron can occupy in an atom. It is also known as the energy of the electron in its most stable or lowest energy state.

2. How is the ground state energy of an electron determined?

The ground state energy of an electron is determined by solving the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles, including electrons. This equation takes into account the electron's position, momentum, and potential energy in order to calculate its ground state energy.

3. What is the significance of the ground state energy of an electron?

The ground state energy of an electron is significant because it determines the electron's behavior and properties within an atom. It also plays a crucial role in chemical bonding and the formation of molecules.

4. Can the ground state energy of an electron be changed?

Yes, the ground state energy of an electron can be changed through various processes such as absorption or emission of energy, which can excite the electron to a higher energy level or cause it to drop down to a lower energy level.

5. How does the ground state energy of an electron relate to an atom's stability?

The ground state energy of an electron is directly related to an atom's stability. Atoms with filled or half-filled energy levels, which correspond to lower ground state energies, are considered more stable than those with partially filled energy levels. This is because the electrons in a lower energy state have less energy and are less likely to react with other atoms, making the atom more stable.