Ground State Energy for infinte potential well

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Schrödinger's equations to determine the potential of a one-dimensional system, with a specific focus on the time-independent equation. The key concept is that the time behavior of the wave function can be easily deduced by finding the energy, meaning that it is not necessary to solve the full differential equation with time and space. The conversation also touches on the use of boundary conditions to solve for the wave function and ultimately determine the energy.
Ryomega

Homework Statement

A particle of mass (m) moves in the one-dimensional potential

V(x) = V0 0 ≤ x ≤ a
= ∞ otherwise

Wave function of the particle is ψ(x,t) = C sin ([itex]\frac{x\pi}{a}[/itex]exp[-iωt]
Determine V0

Homework Equations

Schrödinger's Equations

Time-independent

Hψ(x) + V(x)ψ=i[itex]\hbar[/itex][itex]\frac{\partialψ}{\partial t}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got extremely confused because usually when I run into these questions, the wave function is not a function of time.

So I don't actually know "how" to solve this equation. Do I separate the variables in the wave function and try to solve for E?

Do I use the time-dependent equation? If so how do I solve for E.

No need to show the math, but please take me through every step.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh and if someone can point me towards a video/website showing how to separate the variables in the wave function if I need to do so.

This is an important concept to get your head around: the difference between the time-dependent and the time-independent Schrodinger Equation. The key insight here is that since you're dealing with eigenstates of the Hamiltonian, their time behavior is very simple.

Specifically, since [itex]i\frac{d}{dt}\psi(x,t) = \hat{H}\psi(x,t)[/itex], and [itex]\hat{H}\psi(x,t) = E\psi(x,t)[/itex], we have [itex]i\frac{d}{dt}\psi(x, t) = E\psi(x, t)[/itex]. That means that the time derivative of the wave function is a constant--it depends neither on time nor position. Therefore, the phase of the wavefunction just oscillates at a constant rate, which is proportional to the energy. So if the wavefunction at [itex]t=0[/itex] is [itex]\psi_0(x)[/itex], the wavefunction at other times is [itex]\psi(x, t) = e^{-iEt}\psi_0(x)[/itex].

Since we know the time behavior of the wavefunction can be easily deduced simply by finding the energy, there's really no point in solving the full differential equation with time and space. It's enough to simply solve the spatial equation [itex]\psi_0(x)[/itex] only, and then we can reconstruct the full equation off of that. In this case, you should be able to use the boundary conditions plus the time-independent SE to solve for [itex]\psi_0(x)[/itex], and then you should be able to find the energy [itex]E[/itex] off of that.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try it out and see if I run into problems. I'm still trying to get my head around what you said.

Thanks again!

It worked out fine, and I "think" (very sure I do) I understand the concept.

Thank you so much for your help!

If Iv got this right, your saying that ψ0(x) = C sin (xπ/a)exp[it(E-ω)]

Last edited:

Related to Ground State Energy for infinte potential well

1. What is the ground state energy for an infinite potential well?

The ground state energy for an infinite potential well is the lowest possible energy that a particle can have while confined within a potential well with infinite walls. It is also known as the zero-point energy and is the energy level that a particle occupies when it is in its lowest energy state.

2. How is the ground state energy of an infinite potential well calculated?

The ground state energy of an infinite potential well can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles. The solution to this equation yields a discrete set of energy levels, with the ground state energy being the lowest energy level.

3. What is the significance of the ground state energy for an infinite potential well?

The ground state energy for an infinite potential well is significant because it is the lowest energy level that a particle can occupy. This energy level serves as a reference point for all other energy levels within the potential well, and it is also the energy level that is most likely to be occupied by a particle.

4. How does the ground state energy change with different potential well sizes?

The ground state energy for an infinite potential well is inversely proportional to the size of the potential well. This means that as the size of the potential well increases, the ground state energy decreases. On the other hand, as the size of the potential well decreases, the ground state energy increases.

5. Can the ground state energy for an infinite potential well have a negative value?

No, the ground state energy for an infinite potential well cannot have a negative value. This is because the potential well has infinite walls that confine the particle, making it impossible for the particle to have a negative energy level. The ground state energy is always positive, with the lowest possible value being zero.