Ground state energy for exciton in Si

In summary, the conversation involved estimating the ground state energy for an exciton in silicon, using effective masses and values for Planck's constant. The equation used for the calculation included a typo and a misunderstanding of the symbols used, but with the correct equation, a value of 14.8mJ was obtained.
adamaero

Homework Statement

Estimate the ground state energy (eV) for an exciton in Si.
εSi = 12
ε = 1.0359×10−10

Effective masses
me* = 0.26me
mh* = 0.36me
effective mass = 0.15me

Values of h
6.626×10−34 J⋅s
4.136×10−15 eV⋅s
Values of ħ Units
1.055×10−34 J⋅s
6.582×10−16 eV⋅s

Homework Equations

E1 = me4/(8*h2ε02)
E = m*e4/(8*h2ε2)

The Attempt at a Solution

0.15(9.11e-31)e^4/[8(6.626e-34)^2(1.0359e-10)^2] =
0.15(9.11e-31)54.59815/[8(6.626e-34)^2(1.0359e-10)^2]
[link to wolfram for this calculation]
= 1.98×1056 J
This seems way too big!
It's even bigger in eV: 1.24×1075

I would really appreciate it if someone could help point out where I went wrong. It seems like most want to beat around the bush...or maybe everyone that's helped me here is just in a rush. That epsilon I'm not 100% sure about either.

Physics news on Phys.org
0.15(9.11e-31)e^4/[8(6.626e-34)^2(1.0359e-10)^2]
What do you understand the term highlighted in red to be?
Wolfram understands to be (Exp[1.0])4. The same understanding applies to all the e's in your expression.

kuruman said:
0.15(9.11e-31)e^4/[8(6.626e-34)^2(1.0359e-10)^2]
What do you understand the term highlighted in red to be?
Wolfram understands to be (Exp[1.0])4. The same understanding applies to all the e's in your expression.

Yes. I don't see any problem with that. The link to Wolfram clearly shows that without the caret operator (^) is needed for an exponential. 10e10 = 100 billion.

adamaero said:
E1 = me4/(8*h2ε02)
What does "e4" mean in your posted equation and how do you implement it?

That's a typo for e4.

And does "e" stand for?

I believe it's the constant: 2.71828

Which constant? What is its value?

Okay, do you actually know the answer to this minor tangent?! If so, why are you beating around the bush?

I understand probing for thinking and such is the main idea of Physics Forums, but this is a mere tangent about an equation.

1.6×10−19
the charge of an electron?
That's what someone else said from a different site.

adamaero said:
I believe it's the constant: 2.71828
I don't think so. It's the charge of the electron.

0.15(9.11e-31)1.6e-19/[8(6.626e-34)^2(1.0359e-10)^2] =
5.8×1035 J
or 36×1045 eV

I don't know what the ballpark number should be (so I have no idea if this is near correct).

adamaero said:
I understand probing for thinking and such is the main idea of Physics Forums, but this is a mere tangent about an equation.
Maybe so, but it looks like you did not understand what the symbols in the equation stood for and therefore you did not understand the equation and couldn't use it correctly. I wouldn't call that a "mere tangent".

adamaero said:
0.15(9.11e-31)1.6e-19/[8(6.626e-34)^2(1.0359e-10)^2] =
5.8×1035 J
or 36×1045 eV
Where is it that you raise the charge of the electron to the fourth power in this expression?

Ya, I got it. Ate up about 8 hours though.
14.8mJ
It is a mere equation, but I don't have time to explain out why. It should not take an hour to point out that the equation is wrong, and what it actually should be! I mean, a guy from another site is the one who actually helped.

You are welcome.

adamaero said:
I mean, a guy from another site is the one who actually helped.

Related to Ground state energy for exciton in Si

What is the ground state energy for exciton in Si?

The ground state energy for exciton in Si refers to the lowest energy state of an exciton (a bound state of an electron and hole) in a silicon crystal. It is a key parameter in understanding the behavior of excitons and their interactions with other particles.

How is the ground state energy for exciton in Si determined?

The ground state energy for exciton in Si is typically determined through theoretical calculations or experimental measurements. Theoretical calculations involve solving the Schrödinger equation for the exciton in the silicon crystal, while experimental measurements use techniques such as photoluminescence or absorption spectroscopy.

What factors can affect the ground state energy for exciton in Si?

The ground state energy for exciton in Si can be affected by various factors, including the size and shape of the silicon crystal, the presence of impurities or defects, and external stimuli such as temperature or pressure. These factors can alter the energy levels and interactions of the exciton, leading to changes in the ground state energy.

Why is the ground state energy for exciton in Si important in optoelectronic devices?

The ground state energy for exciton in Si plays a crucial role in the performance of optoelectronic devices, such as solar cells and light-emitting diodes. It determines the efficiency and stability of exciton-based processes, and understanding it is essential for optimizing device designs and improving overall performance.

Is the ground state energy for exciton in Si the same as the bandgap energy?

No, the ground state energy for exciton in Si and the bandgap energy are two distinct parameters. The bandgap energy refers to the energy difference between the highest occupied and lowest unoccupied energy states in a material, while the ground state energy for exciton in Si specifically refers to the lowest energy state of an exciton in a silicon crystal. These energies can be related, but they are not interchangeable.