Gross Pitaevskii one dimensional solution

In summary, the solution of the Gross-Pitaevskii equation is not a closed form solution, and it may be very hard to solve. I suggest using the trial solution of ##\phi (x) = C \tanh (\frac{x}{L})##. With boundary conditions, you can evaluate ##C## and ##L##.
Yoris21
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
Hey guys, new to the forum here! I'm having this excercise where I have to prove that the solution of Gross Pitaevskii in one dimension, is equal to: φ(x)=Ctanh(x/L) for a>0 and φ(x)=C'tanh(x/L). The differential equation goes like this:

screenshot-eclass.upatras.gr-2020.09.16-01_32_58.png

Any thoughts on what approximations do I have to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's very annoying when people post homework problems and show no attempt at the solution. It shows that you are either lazy or your course work is beyond your abilities and it's an insult to others who show effort. It's against the PF rules for me to help you if you show no effort but I will give you some hints because I don't have the patience to hold your hand through this problem. Hopefully, in your next post you will show some effort.

First, the Gross-Pitaevskii equation has no closed form solution when ##V(\vec r) \ne 0##.

Second, with ##V(\vec r) = 0## you have a second order, homogeneous, non-linear differential equation (very hard to solve). Why don't you use ##\phi (x) = C \tanh (\frac{x}{L})## as a trial solution?

Third, you need boundary conditions. Remember that you are dealing with a soliton. I suggest,
$$
\lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty} \phi (x)=0
$$
$$
\lim_{x \rightarrow +\infty} \frac{d\phi (x)}{dx}=0
$$
With these boundary you can evaluate ##C## and ##L##. I'll leave it to you to justify the use of these boundary conditions.

Hi, thanks for your response. As I said in my first sentence, I am new to the forum here, so I am not yet quite familiar with the forum rules. I accept that this excercise may be beyond my abilities, however, you should also be more polite to people that you don't know, either you have the upper hand on them, or not. You have no idea what effort anyone makes for their work, therefore you should not conclude in such allegations.

Related to Gross Pitaevskii one dimensional solution

1. What is the Gross Pitaevskii one dimensional solution?

The Gross Pitaevskii one dimensional solution is a theoretical model used to describe the behavior of a Bose-Einstein condensate, which is a state of matter formed by a collection of bosons at very low temperatures. It is based on the Gross-Pitaevskii equation, which is a nonlinear Schrödinger equation that describes the dynamics of the condensate's wave function.

2. How is the Gross Pitaevskii one dimensional solution derived?

The Gross Pitaevskii one dimensional solution is derived by applying the mean-field approximation to the Bose-Einstein condensate. This approximation assumes that the interactions between particles can be described by a single effective potential, and that the wave function of the condensate can be approximated by a single macroscopic wave function.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Gross Pitaevskii one dimensional solution?

The assumptions made in the Gross Pitaevskii one dimensional solution include the mean-field approximation, which neglects the effects of quantum fluctuations, and the assumption that the condensate is confined to one dimension. It also assumes that the interactions between particles are described by a contact potential, and that the condensate is in thermal equilibrium.

4. What are the applications of the Gross Pitaevskii one dimensional solution?

The Gross Pitaevskii one dimensional solution has been used to study the properties of Bose-Einstein condensates, such as their stability, dynamics, and phase transitions. It has also been applied to other systems, such as exciton-polariton condensates and atomic spinor condensates.

5. What are the limitations of the Gross Pitaevskii one dimensional solution?

The Gross Pitaevskii one dimensional solution has several limitations, including the fact that it does not take into account the effects of quantum fluctuations, which can be significant in certain situations. It also assumes that the condensate is confined to one dimension, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the model may not accurately describe the behavior of the condensate at very low temperatures.