And here i always thought reader's digest was a respectable magazine

• Thread starter halfdyke
  • Start date
In summary, the August issue of Reader's Digest has a cover headline about new evidence for life after death. The conversation among commenters addresses the credibility of the magazine and past articles, with one commenter mentioning a lecture from their mother about smoking pot leading to becoming a rapist. The overall opinion is that the magazine has a history of publishing sensational and questionable articles.
halfdyke
in the august issue of reader's digest, the headline on the cover: "new evidence: life after death". comments folks? i think it's hilarious, not to mention hogwash, but of course i'll read the article and get back to you with what it says is the "evidence".

Physics news on Phys.org
When I think of life after death, I'm not thinking of god, my grandparents and a big white light. I'm thinking that there are still many things in the universe that we do not fully understand. And it may be possible that our "consciousness" is transferred to an alternative form of existence-some type of matter/energy conversion. Maybe into an alternate dimensional plane- who knows? There may be things our current technology can't detect.

But hey, if dead is dead- I can accept that without pause.

Originally posted by halfdyke
in the august issue of reader's digest, the headline on the cover: "new evidence: life after death". comments folks? i think it's hilarious, not to mention hogwash, but of course i'll read the article and get back to you with what it says is the "evidence".

IMO, the perceived credibility of the bathroom bible has always been a lie. I don't know how it ever got the reputation that it enjoys. Of course, this time it could be true…. :wink:

I remember a lecture that I got from mom when I was about 16. She showed me a RD that explained how smoking pot will make you a rapist. She wanted to make sure I didn't smoke pot and become a rapist also.

I also read in RD that a black hole passed through the Earth in 1908. This is what caused the Tunguska explosion. In the early 90s I read that aids [portrayed as the gay plague] would have killed us all by now. I have read much hogwash as such from RD. There has been one on the toilet my entire life - mom then wife...this is at least an appropriate forum for the magazine.

Smoking pot definitely doesn't make you a rapist. It may make you lazy, unmotivated, and hungry- but a rapist- nope

Originally posted by Zantra
Smoking pot definitely doesn't make you a rapist. It may make you lazy, unmotivated, and hungry- but a rapist- nope

Oh yes I didn't mean to put that twist on things. I was pointing to the indefensible extremes in their reporting. The last time that I checked, we are not all dead from aids either.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Oh yes I didn't mean to put that twist on things. I was pointing to the indefensible extremes in their reporting. The last time that I checked, we are not all dead from aids either.

2 words man- "positive reinforncement"

Originally posted by Zantra
2 words man- "positive reinforncement"

When I read your objection to my post I couldn’t answer fast enough.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
When I read your objection to my post I couldn’t answer fast enough.

Just wanted to point that fact out to the masses :wink:

What is the history of Reader's Digest magazine?

Reader's Digest was founded in 1922 by DeWitt Wallace and Lila Bell Wallace. It started as a collection of articles from other publications and grew to become one of the most popular magazines in the world. Today, it has a circulation of over 10 million copies worldwide.

Is Reader's Digest considered a legitimate source of information?

While Reader's Digest is a well-respected and widely-circulated magazine, it is not considered a scholarly or academic source of information. It is primarily known for its digestible, easy-to-read articles on a variety of topics, rather than in-depth research or analysis.

Has Reader's Digest ever been involved in any controversies?

Yes, Reader's Digest has been involved in a few controversies over the years. In the 1970s, it was accused of political bias and in the 1990s, it faced a lawsuit for plagiarism. However, the magazine has since addressed these issues and continues to be a popular publication.

Does Reader's Digest publish original content or only reprints?

While Reader's Digest started as a collection of reprinted articles, it now also publishes original content. It has a team of writers and editors who produce new content for the magazine, in addition to selecting and adapting articles from other publications.

What type of content can I expect to find in Reader's Digest?

Reader's Digest covers a wide range of topics, including health, travel, entertainment, personal finance, and more. It also features human interest stories, jokes, and inspirational articles. It is known for its condensed versions of articles, making it a quick and easy read for busy individuals.