Grocery Cart Forces: Final Speed

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the final speed of a grocery cart that is pushed by a shopper with a constant force of 40.0 N. Using the equation Wnet=deltaKE, the attempt at a solution involves converting the work done in moving the cart into kinetic energy. However, there is a misunderstanding regarding the use of forces and masses in the equation. After clarifying, the correct calculation is determined to be 9.07 m/s. The conversation ends with a request for help with another problem involving a skier and a coefficient of velocity.
mortho

Homework Statement

A 105.0 N grocery cart is pushed 11.0 m along an aisle by a shopper who exerts a constant horizontal force of 40.0 N. If all frictional forces are neglected and the cart starts from rest, what is the grocery cart's final speed?

Homework Equations

Wnet=deltaKE

The Attempt at a Solution

So i used that equation which ended up to mad=1/2mv2

(10.7)(9.81)(11)=1/2(10.7)(v2)
v= 14.7 m/s

But it ended up being wrong, i don't get it. and also i could cancel out the masses right? but it would still give me same answer so it wouldn't matter. Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The work done in moving the cart 11m is converted into k.e.
so that [itex]Fd=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/itex]
so F is the constant force exerted to move the cart 11m(d) and m is its mass(105/9.81) and re-arrange to find v^2

wait isn't that wat i did though..Fd=1/2mv2 ?

In F*d, F refers to the Horizontal force (Fa) aka 40N. Now for 1/2*mv^2, you use the M of the cart (10.7)

oh? my teacher was saying use force parallel, oohhh..but i guess that would be the same as Force applied. ok so i worked it out as (40)(11)=1/2(10.7)v2
my answer is 9.07 m/s correct?

Right, in Work problems, you consider the part of the force that's acting parallel to the distance it's acting on, in this case that force is 40 N. 9.07 looks right

THANK YOU! hey could you help me out with a skier problem ,,,it's on the bulletin,,i think it's called skier coefficient or velocity..that one's soo hard and it's almost due .

Related to Grocery Cart Forces: Final Speed

1. What is the concept of "Grocery Cart Forces: Final Speed"?

"Grocery Cart Forces: Final Speed" is a scientific concept that deals with the forces acting on a grocery cart and how they affect its final speed. It is a combination of physics and engineering principles that can be used to understand and predict the movement of a grocery cart.

2. How do the forces acting on a grocery cart affect its final speed?

The forces acting on a grocery cart, such as friction, weight, and acceleration due to gravity, all play a role in determining the cart's final speed. These forces can either increase or decrease the speed of the cart, depending on their direction and magnitude.

3. What factors can influence the final speed of a grocery cart?

The final speed of a grocery cart can be influenced by various factors, including the weight of the cart, the amount of force applied to it, the surface it is rolling on, and the presence of any external forces such as wind or inclines.

4. How can the concept of "Grocery Cart Forces: Final Speed" be applied in real life?

The concept of "Grocery Cart Forces: Final Speed" can be applied in real life situations, such as designing more efficient and stable grocery carts, understanding the impact of different terrains on cart movement, and predicting the speed of a cart when pushed or pulled with different forces.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding "Grocery Cart Forces: Final Speed"?

Understanding "Grocery Cart Forces: Final Speed" can have practical applications in fields such as engineering, transportation, and logistics. It can also be useful for improving the design and functionality of grocery carts, making them easier to maneuver and more stable while in use.