Grisi Siknis: A Mysterious Illness Among Young Girls

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
In summary, the girls at the school believe that they are being possessed by some sort of dark entity. They begin to experience strange symptoms, such as feeling giddy and faint, and then become very aggressive and violent. Five or six people are needed to restrain them in order to keep them from hurting themselves or others.
zoobyshoe
"One day at school, I felt giddy, and found it difficult to breathe," she said.

"Then, I saw something coming towards me - a kind of black man or a dragon that entered me and possessed me."

Three other girls were affected the same day at Anadina's school, where Reverend Harold Dixon is headmaster.

He has witnessed many attacks of Grisi Siknis.

"They get giddy and they faint and fall to the ground," he said.

"Then, they start hollering and they hit their heads on the wall or desk. They have an extra strength.

"You have to have five or six people to hold down one girl."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8007895.stm

Similar from history:

Lille, France, 1639
Mackay (1852, 539-540) reports that in 1639 at an all-girls' school in Lille, France, fifty pupils were convinced by their overzealous teacher that they were under Satanic influence. Antoinette Bourgignon had the children believing that "little black angels" were flying about their heads, and that the Devil's imps were everywhere. Soon, each of the students confessed to witchcraft, flying on broomsticks and even eating baby flesh. The students came close to being burned at the stake but were spared when blame shifted to the headmistress, who escaped at the last minute. The episode occurred near the end of the Continental European witch mania of 1400 to 1650, when at least 200,000 people were executed following allegations of witchcraft.

http://www.csicop.org/si/2000-05/delusions.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have there ever been instances of people claiming to be possessed who didn't belong to a highly religious community that believes in possession?

junglebeast said:
Have there ever been instances of people claiming to be possessed who didn't belong to a highly religious community that believes in possession?

I think that, especially for young people, it gives them a chance to throw off the tight constraints of such controlling religions for a brief time. They may believe in it, but the overwhelming subconscious desire to act freely may induce them into expressing a psychosomatic symptom of something they believe could happen. Just a guess.

ibcnunabit said:
I think that, especially for young people, it gives them a chance to throw off the tight constraints of such controlling religions for a brief time. They may believe in it, but the overwhelming subconscious desire to act freely may induce them into expressing a psychosomatic symptom of something they believe could happen. Just a guess.

That is a little too much of a personal theory for this forum; unless you have some published works to support the idea.

Related to Grisi Siknis: A Mysterious Illness Among Young Girls

1. What is Grisi Siknis (Crazy Sickness)?

Grisi Siknis, also known as "crazy sickness" or "grisi munaia", is a mysterious and highly contagious illness that affects indigenous communities in Central America. It is characterized by sudden and unexplainable episodes of dizziness, hallucinations, and uncontrollable behavior.

2. What are the symptoms of Grisi Siknis?

The symptoms of Grisi Siknis can vary, but they typically include dizziness, headaches, nausea, confusion, and hallucinations. In some cases, individuals may also exhibit extreme anxiety, aggression, and loss of consciousness.

3. What causes Grisi Siknis?

The exact cause of Grisi Siknis is still unknown, but it is believed to be a combination of cultural, psychological, and environmental factors. Some theories suggest that it may be triggered by stress, spiritual possession, or toxic substances in the environment.

4. Is Grisi Siknis treatable?

There is no specific treatment for Grisi Siknis, and traditional medicine has been largely unsuccessful in curing or preventing the illness. However, modern medicine has been able to provide some relief through the use of anti-psychotic medications to manage the symptoms.

5. How can Grisi Siknis be prevented?

Preventing Grisi Siknis is challenging due to its unknown cause, but some measures can be taken to reduce the risk of infection. These include avoiding contact with infected individuals, maintaining good hygiene, and seeking medical attention if symptoms arise.

Back