Griffiths vs Purcell vs Schwartz for undergrad E&M

In summary, when looking for a book to prepare for undergraduate E&M 1, people generally recommend Griffiths and Purcell. However, some have found Griffiths' approach to be lacking in providing historical and practical motivation and instead focusing on unnecessary algebra. Purcell's book is intended for freshmen but is rigorous and a good stepping stone for upper level E&M. For a more advanced textbook, Wangsness' Electromagnetic Fields is recommended. For applied PDEs, Asmar's Partial Differential Equations with Fourier Series and Boundary Value Problems is a good choice. Lastly, the book by Franklin, Classical Electromagnetism, is suggested for those who found the freshman course easy.
ahsanxr
So I'll be taking undegrad E&M 1 next semester and was looking for a good book to prepare for it before the semester starts. People seem to like Griffiths and Purcell generally. Shwartz also seems to have some good reviews (and is quite cheap) on Amazon but I'm not quite sure what level it is intended to be .

I'd go with Griffiths but I was using his Quantum Mechanics book this semester and while I learned a decent amount from it, I wasn't a big fan of it. His usual way of approaching things seemed to be quickly introduce a topic, don't give any historical or practical motivation for it, give a half assed example and then throw crazy problems at you with just a lot of unnecessary algebra. If his E&M book is also like that then I'd rather use some other text. Purcell on the other hand was intended to be a "freshman E&M" book if I'm not incorrect.

Schwartz on the other hand seems to be a good book but it's focus seems to be more on relativistic E&M.

So which one do you guys think I should choose and start working through?

Also, it would be nice if you guys could recommend a good math book which goes over things like Complex Analysis, PDE's and topics like special functions. That's for a course called "PDE's w/ Applied Math".

Physics news on Phys.org
I also used Griffiths Quantum Mechanics textbook and I felt like he introduced a collection of topics, but never strung them together. I've skimmed through his E&M textbook and the writing is very similar.

You're right that Purcell is a freshman level book; however, it's rigorous and would be a great stepping stone to your upper level E&M class. If you're looking for an actual upper level textbook, go with Wangsness Electromagnetic Fields.

For applied PDE's, I really enjoyed Partial Differential Equations with Fourier Series and Boundary Value Problems by Asmar.

Schwartz is a nice book, but it is graduate level. Also it brings relativity in at the start, which is nice if you already have a good background, but can make it hard for a beginner.

A lot depends on how you did in your freshman course. If you struggled, then I recommend you use Purcell or go over your freshman text to know it really well.
If you found the freshman course easy, then you might try Franklin "Classical Electromagnetism". It is a graduate text, above the Griffith level, but starts at the
beginning with much of the needed math background. The first 3 or 4 chapters would give you a good start for the undergraduate course.

Related to Griffiths vs Purcell vs Schwartz for undergrad E&M

1. What is the difference between Griffiths, Purcell, and Schwartz in terms of E&M for undergraduates?

Griffiths, Purcell, and Schwartz are all textbooks that cover the topic of electromagnetism (E&M) at an undergraduate level. The main difference between these textbooks lies in their approach and level of depth. Griffiths is known for its clear and concise explanations, while Purcell is more rigorous and mathematical. Schwartz, on the other hand, focuses more on practical applications of E&M.

2. Which textbook is recommended for a beginner in E&M?

For a beginner in E&M, Griffiths is often recommended as it provides a good introduction to the subject and is easier to understand compared to Purcell and Schwartz. However, it ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and preferences.

3. Are any of these textbooks better for self-study?

All three textbooks can be used for self-study, but it again depends on the individual's learning style. Griffiths is often considered to be more reader-friendly and accessible for self-study, while Purcell and Schwartz may require more effort to understand and work through on your own.

4. Which textbook is more suitable for advanced topics in E&M?

For advanced topics in E&M, Purcell is often recommended as it goes into more detail and covers more advanced concepts. It also has a more mathematical approach, which may be beneficial for those looking to deepen their understanding of E&M.

5. Can these textbooks be used in combination with each other?

Yes, these textbooks can be used in combination with each other. Many students and instructors use multiple textbooks to gain a more comprehensive understanding of a subject. For example, some may use Griffiths for an introduction, Purcell for more in-depth study, and Schwartz for practical applications. However, this ultimately depends on the individual and their learning goals.