Do it yourself test-tube chelation question

• Misc.
  • Thread starter hitssquad
  • Start date
In summary: Koch, M.D., a professor at Tufts University School of Medicine, has said "zinc carnosine is the next big thing in gastric healing.""Zinc carnosine is the next big thing in gastric healing.""Zinc carnosine is a peptide that has been shown to be effective in healing gastritis, peptic ulcers and mucosa.""Zinc carnosine is a peptide that has been shown to be effective in healing gastritis, peptic ulcers and mucosa.""Zinc carnosine is the next big thing in gastric healing."
hitssquad
I have a question:

I am interested in chelating zinc to a dipeptide called http://www.vrp.com/art/462.asp [Broken] ([itex]\beta[/itex]-alanyl-L-histidine) in order to create zinc-carnosine for my own, personal use. Carnosine is known to chelate easily in vivo. However, there are reports stating that ingesting zinc and carnosine together (but unchelated) does not give the same results as ingesting a chelation of zinc and carnosine (carnosine has been demonstrated safe to ingest up to massive quantities, and zinc is safe up to about 50 mg/diem). From this I gather that carnosine does not chelate well with zinc while in a human stomach, or at least that it doesn't do so rapidly-enough to be as helful as ingesting a prefabricated zinc-carnosine chelate.

What general steps would need to be taken to chelate zinc and carnosine in, say, a home kitchen? Would a special type of zinc be needed?

Thanks for any help.

-Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Zinc-carnosine update

hitssquad said:
I am interested in chelating zinc to a dipeptide called http://www.vrp.com/art/462.asp [Broken] ([itex]\beta[/itex]-alanyl-L-histidine) in order to create zinc-carnosine for my own, personal use.
There is no longer any need to do this. Now Foods and Jarrow recently started marketing Lonza's zinc-carnosine chelate over-the-counter in the United States:
http://store.yahoo.com/iherb/pepzin.html [Broken]

Your link to the yahoo! store doesn't work. What is the benefit of taking a zinc-carnosine chelate as opposed to taking a carnosine supplement without the zinc?

Mechanism of action of zinc-carnosine chelate

loseyourname said:
Your link to the yahoo! store doesn't work.
It doesn't show this?:
iherb.jpg

What is the benefit of taking a zinc-carnosine chelate as opposed to taking a carnosine supplement without the zinc?
One beneficial aspect appears to be its slow dissociation rate which allows it to penetrate more deeply into tissue:

--
Mechanism of action. The slow dissociation rate of L-CAZ in gastric juice due to the polymeric character is essentially important because the prolonged existence in the stomach maintains the healing effect for a long time. Two Japanese research groups [5, 6] found strange specific adherent and penetrative characteristics of L-CAZ to the ulcer lesion by staining zinc with dithizone or Timm solution. We assume that such specific adherence of L-CAZ at the ulcer lesion is attributed to the formation of new chemical bond between zinc and body components, i.e., albumin or other proteins to form mixed ligand complexes. L-Carnosine is considered to still bind with zinc at this stage. These body components oozing from the ulcer site can bind strongly to zinc ion with functional groups such as sulfhydryl or imidazole. Via the stage of the mixed ligand complex, L-carnosine, which has wound healing ability due to the anti-free-radical property [7], is released on the ulcer lesion by complete ligand exchange reaction with a body component capable of forming a complex having a larger stability constant than that of the complex formed from L-carnosine. Simultaneously, zinc, which has a protective effect on membranes, is captured completely by the body component and penetrates into the ulcer to ease inflammation. Such ligand exchange reaction was confirmed by the detection of L-carnosine in supernatant or solution when we mix L-CAZ with various materials such as homogenate taken from stomach of rat, rat serum, albumin, and amino acids with sulfhydryl groups. As the ligand exchange reaction proceeds, insoluble L-CAZ gradually dissolves in water. A simple mixture of L-carnosine and zinc presented less anti-ulceration effect, especially on free-radical induced lesions [8], presumably due to rapid diffusion of L-carnosine and zinc ion in the whole stomach. The stability constant of the complex composed of L-carnosine and zinc [9] is inferred to be suitable for the ligand exchange with body components, giving L-carnosine a characteristic property of an excellent carrier of zinc into the living body. This aspect was also confirmed by a study concerning the absorption of zinc from the intestine, as mentioned below [10].
--
http://protein.bio.msu.su/biokhimiya/contents/v65/full/65070961.htm [Broken]

Attachments

• iherb.jpg
    iherb.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 568
What is the best known source for zinc carnosine to treat H Pylora?

Thankyou for providinng this website dialog...

Walt

1. What is test-tube chelation?

Test-tube chelation is a method of removing heavy metals from a solution using a chelating agent, which binds to the metals and forms a complex that can be easily removed.

2. Can I do test-tube chelation at home?

Yes, test-tube chelation can be done at home with the right equipment and materials. However, it is important to follow proper safety precautions and have a thorough understanding of the process before attempting it.

3. What materials do I need for a DIY test-tube chelation?

The materials needed for a DIY test-tube chelation include a chelating agent (such as EDTA or DMSA), a heavy metal solution, a test tube or other container, and basic laboratory equipment such as a pipette, beaker, and hot plate.

4. Is DIY test-tube chelation effective?

DIY test-tube chelation can be effective in removing heavy metals from a solution, but it is not as reliable or accurate as professional chelation methods. It is important to carefully follow instructions and properly dispose of the waste to avoid any potential harm.

5. Are there any risks involved in DIY test-tube chelation?

There are potential risks involved in DIY test-tube chelation, such as exposure to toxic chemicals and improper disposal of waste. It is important to research and understand the process thoroughly and use proper safety precautions to minimize any potential risks.

Back