Turn off Guests within Who's Online

• Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
In summary, Greg has enabled the display of guests' information under "Who's Online," but this is causing the system to lag due to the time it takes to check each guest's current position. He plans to turn off this feature soon and has installed a hack that shows the user agent for Google, which includes "googlebot" in its name. There are databases available that track Google's IP addresses, which usually start with 64, 212, or 208. A googlebot is a search engine spider used by Google to index web pages.
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
Greg, I don't know why you decided to have the guests' info posted under "Who's Online," but it is really lagging the system. It takes forever for the page to load up because it has to check everyone's current position.

Physics news on Phys.org
How can you tell the difference between a regular guest and a googlebot. Does Google provide a list of IP addresses they use?

I installed a hack that shows me peoples user agent. for google it has like googlebot2.1 somewhere in there. and yeah there are a number of places that have tracked google ips. most start with 64, 212 or 208

whats a googlebot?

Originally posted by einsteinian77
whats a googlebot?

googlebot is google's search engine spider. There are thousands of them that scour the internet finding pages to index.

search engine spiders that scour the internet, that sounds.. creapy but fun at the same time :P

1. What does the "Turn off Guests within Who's Online" feature do?

The "Turn off Guests within Who's Online" feature allows the website administrator to hide guests (users who are not logged in) from the "Who's Online" section of the website. This means that only registered users will be shown as online.

2. How can I access the "Turn off Guests within Who's Online" feature?

The "Turn off Guests within Who's Online" feature can typically be accessed through the website's administrative control panel. The exact location may vary depending on the website's platform and settings.

3. Why would I want to turn off guests within "Who's Online"?

Some website administrators may choose to turn off guests within "Who's Online" in order to prioritize the visibility of registered users, or to protect the privacy of guests who may not want their online activity to be visible to others.

4. Will turning off guests within "Who's Online" affect the functionality of the website?

No, turning off guests within "Who's Online" should not affect the functionality of the website. However, it may affect the accuracy of the "Who's Online" section, as only registered users will be shown as online.

5. Can I still see how many guests are currently on the website after turning off guests within "Who's Online"?

No, once the "Turn off Guests within Who's Online" feature is activated, guests will no longer be visible in the "Who's Online" section, so the number of guests currently on the website will not be displayed.