Greetings fellow Physics Forum members

In summary, take the most math courses offered in your senior year of high school, and be sure to take the best one offered for your major. Be prepared to tackle difficult college courses, but don't give up when trying to learn new topics.
Meson26
This is my first post on any message board so bare with me on any grammatical errors I make in the post. I will be heading into my senior year of high school and I plan on majoring in physics. But I live in a rather rural community and high school courses aren't considered challenging. We have one physics class we can take at my school, but its pretty basic nearly everything I know about physics I had to learn myself. I try to learn the most that I can about any subject but physics is a subject I hope to master one day. Although I have one more year of high school i still look forward to college and see it as a big step forward from my school. Does anyone have advice to give in regards to which classes I should take during my first semester of college?Actually any advice relating to physics would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics I, Calculus I, and English I in semester 1 at college. Be sure to take the best math course offered in your senior high school year. Interested in engineering? Engineering requires good Physics skills.

With respect to your main program of study, you generally don't have much choice in your first year of college. There are foundational classes that everyone in physics (and, in fact, just about every field I'm familiar with) takes as requirements in first year. So, if you look at the program requirements for physics at the school you go to, they will tell you exactly what you need to take in first year. At the very least, it's probably safe to say that your college will require you to take introductory physics in each semester, a practical (lab) course if that's not already part of your introductory class, a full year of calculus, and perhaps a semester of linear algebra. The linear algebra class might be optional in first year, but I would recommend taking it as soon as possible. Beyond that, you likely won't have much freedom to choose particular physics courses until you've completed those basics. The choice will come in which level you take those courses at. If you are interested in pursuing physics in graduate school school, you should take it at the highest level your school offers. If you think you might want to do theoretical physics, it wouldn't hurt to take calculus at the highest level too; however, there may be a "calculus for physical sciences" stream (between "calculus for mathematicians" and "calculus for life sciences" stream) that would be fine too. Again, your course requirements from your physics department will tell you which one you should take.

I appreciate your insight, engineering is definitely an interesting career field. I am taking college courses (english 101, college algebra) and I plan on taking more classes next semester. I am taking pre cal this year as well, I know most of the concepts of pre cal well so I will definitely delve into more advanced calc topics soon. I have taken every science class my school offers and aced them all with relative ease, but I realize that i'll run into a college class that will stump me. But I don't give up when trying to learn new topics. I plan on attending a large state university that has a good engineering and physics department.I would like to thank everyone that posts advice on this thread I tend to find value in any advice.

Hello and welcome to the Physics Forum! It's great to see that you have a passion for physics and are planning to major in it. Don't worry about any grammatical errors, we're all here to learn and share our knowledge.

It can be challenging to pursue a subject like physics in a rural community with limited resources. However, it's great that you have taken the initiative to learn on your own. That kind of self-motivation and determination will serve you well in your future studies.

As for advice on which classes to take in your first semester of college, it really depends on your specific interests and goals within the field of physics. Generally, it's a good idea to start with introductory courses such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. These will give you a strong foundation in the basic principles of physics.

In addition, it's important to develop strong mathematical skills, as they are crucial in understanding and solving problems in physics. So make sure to take courses in calculus and linear algebra.

Another piece of advice is to get involved in research or internships early on in your college career. This will not only give you hands-on experience in the field, but also help you narrow down your interests and find your niche within physics.

Lastly, don't be afraid to reach out to professors or fellow students for guidance and advice. They can offer valuable insights and support as you navigate your academic journey in physics.

Good luck in your studies and keep pursuing your passion for physics!

Related to Greetings fellow Physics Forum members

1. What does "Greetings fellow Physics Forum members" mean?

"Greetings fellow Physics Forum members" is a common phrase used to greet other members of the Physics Forum online community. It is a way to show camaraderie and acknowledge that the person speaking is also a member of the forum.

2. Why do people use this phrase?

This phrase is used as a way to create a sense of community and connection among members of the Physics Forum. It also serves as a polite and friendly greeting when starting a conversation or asking a question.

3. Is it necessary to use this phrase when posting on the forum?

No, it is not necessary to use this phrase when posting on the forum. However, it is a common and respectful way to address other members and can help create a friendly and welcoming atmosphere within the community.

4. Can I use a different greeting on the forum?

Yes, you can use a different greeting on the forum. While "Greetings fellow Physics Forum members" is a commonly used phrase, you are free to use any other greeting or introduction that you feel comfortable with.

5. How can I show my appreciation to other members on the forum?

You can show your appreciation to other members on the forum by engaging in discussions, offering helpful answers and advice, and being respectful and supportive of others' contributions. You can also use this phrase or other friendly greetings to acknowledge and thank other members for their contributions.