Green's Function Using Image Charge

In summary: However, in this case, there is no point charge. So, the potential will be a function of only ##\vec{r}##.
ahmad1992

Homework Statement

Write an expression for the Dirichlet Green's function of the part of the space bounded by two infinite conducting plates parallel each other and separated by distance of d. Use Image charge method

Homework Equations

G (at z=0) =0, G (at z=d) =0
I guess

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confuse about image charge method. What is the actual principles of this method?
On most of problem I ever seen, when we use image method, there is always a point charge in the system, however in this case not. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a QM greensfunction, such as the ones used in perturbation theory, or a classical?

It is classical

Ah yes just saw, can't help you sorry. I know QM but my classical physics is a bit rusty.

I have not done this problem before, but if you are building the green's function for one infinite plate, it is the limit as the point charge approaches the plate + its image being reflected back at it. It seems like for 2 plates, you will have to satisfy the 2 boundary conditions. Here is what appears to be a good explanation of the single plate case (and other examples).
http://www.phys.lsu.edu/~jarrell/COURSES/ELECTRODYNAMICS/Chap2/chap2.pdf

ahmad1992 said:

Homework Statement

Write an expression for the Dirichlet Green's function of the part of the space bounded by two infinite conducting plates parallel each other and separated by distance of d. Use Image charge method

Homework Equations

G (at z=0) =0, G (at z=d) =0
I guess

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confuse about image charge method. What is the actual principles of this method?
On most of problem I ever seen, when we use image method, there is always a point charge in the system, however in this case not. Can anyone help me?
The Green's function is essentially the potential due to a point charge. The potential will be a function of ##\vec{r}##, the position of the point charge.

Related to Green's Function Using Image Charge

1. What is a Green's function?

A Green's function is a mathematical tool used in solving differential equations. It represents the response of a system to a point source or impulse.

2. What is an image charge?

An image charge is a concept in electrostatics where an imaginary charge is placed at a mirrored location to satisfy boundary conditions in a problem. It simplifies the calculation of electric potential and fields in certain scenarios.

3. How is Green's function used to solve problems with image charges?

By using the principle of superposition, the Green's function for a point charge can be added to the Green's function for an image charge to obtain the total solution for a given boundary value problem.

4. What are some applications of Green's function using image charge?

Green's function using image charge is commonly used in electrostatics and electromagnetism problems, such as calculating the potential and fields near a conducting surface or a dielectric boundary.

5. Are there any limitations to using Green's function with image charge?

Green's function using image charge is most effective for problems with simple geometries and boundary conditions. In more complex scenarios, the use of numerical methods may be required for accurate solutions.