Green's function & Klein Gordon

In summary, the conversation is about the use of Green's function for the Klein-Gordon equation and its properties. The first equation given is an infinite result when applied to the Klein-Gordon equation and becomes a position space propagator when x=x'. The speaker asks about the meaning of this and the relationship between the Green's function and the 2 point function. They also mention a correction to the 2 point function and the integration over 3 position space propagators.
Sekonda
Hello,

I was wondering what the use in the Green's function for the Klein-Gordon equation was, I have listed it below:

[tex]\int \frac{d^4p}{(2\pi)^4}\frac{i}{p^2-m^2}e^{ip\cdot(x-x')}[/tex]

We find this gives an infinite result when the Klein gordon equation is applied to it and if x=x', what does this mean, i.e.

[tex](\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial t^2}-\nabla^2+m^2)\int \frac{d^4p}{(2\pi)^4}\frac{i}{p^2-m^2}e^{ip\cdot(x-x')}=i\delta^{4})(x-x')[/tex]

Does this mean the particle described by the green's function in the first equation can only be found in one place when x=x'?

Also if we set x=x', the Green's function above turns to

[tex]\int \frac{d^4p}{(2\pi)^4}\frac{i}{p^2-m^2}[/tex]

Which is alike to the 2 point function first order correction of form

[tex]-\frac{i\lambda}{2}\int \frac{d^4p}{(2\pi)^4}\frac{i}{p^2-m^2}[/tex]

What is the relationship here? What use are the Green's function to the above equation? p is the four vector :

[tex]p=(E,\mathbf{p})[/tex]

Thanks,
SK

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm now aware that the first equation in my previous post is also a position space propagator for the Klein-Gordon equation; would anyone be able to explain to me why for this diagram

2pointfunction.png

The correction to the 2 point function for this first order can be given as an integral over the 3 position space propagators associated with (x',x'), (x,x') and (x',y)?

Along with the -iλ/2 from the vertex (/symmetry factor = 1/2)

Thanks

Related to Green's function & Klein Gordon

1. What is a Green's function in physics?

A Green's function is a mathematical concept used in physics to solve differential equations. It represents the response of a system to an impulse or delta function, and can be used to find the solution to a differential equation for a given set of boundary conditions.

2. How is a Green's function related to the Klein Gordon equation?

The Klein Gordon equation is a relativistic version of Schrödinger's equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles. The Green's function for the Klein Gordon equation is a solution to the equation that can be used to find the wave function of a particle in a given potential.

3. What are the properties of a Green's function?

A Green's function has several important properties, including linearity, symmetry, and causality. It is also a solution to the corresponding homogeneous differential equation, and satisfies the boundary conditions of the original problem.

4. How is a Green's function used in practical applications?

Green's functions have a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are often used to solve boundary value problems, such as those found in electromagnetism, acoustics, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in the study of diffusion processes and random walks.

5. Are there any limitations to using Green's functions?

While Green's functions are powerful tools for solving differential equations, they do have some limitations. They may not exist for all types of differential equations, and their calculation can be complex and time-consuming. Additionally, Green's functions may not give physical solutions in certain cases, such as when the system is unstable or unbounded.