Greater likelyhoods of having 2 children of the same gender than 50%?

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Children
In summary: The reproductive physiologist said that sperm chromosomes are determined when the sperm cells are produced in the testes. She said that sperm cells have 46 chromosomes, but some of them may not be evenly distributed across the sperm cell. She said that the sperm cells that are going to fertilize an egg may have more chromosomes from the X chromosome, and the sperm cells that are not going to fertilize an egg may have more chromosomes from the Y chromosome.
wasteofo2
A random little observation I've made is that people I know who have 2 children, will more often than 50% of the time, have 2 children of the same gender. Is there any pre-disposition to this, or are my observations just randomly leaning that way and there is no sort of trend among humans that sets of 2 children are more often than not of the same gender? I was thinking perhaps that some men produce more X or more Y sperm, and that there's a greater likelyhood of the sperm which impregnates the ovum being X or Y, but I have no idea whether this is the case.

Anyone want to shed some light on this?

Biology news on Phys.org
This news article (a bit old) seems related to the topic.
http://www.theeagle.com/health/breakingnews/041902infantgendersmokers.htm

I'm going to have to bug my friend who works in an IVF clinic about this. I had heard years ago that there is a reason why some couples have lots of girls and others lots of boys, and that it's not truly random but has something to do with genetics, but I don't remember if I was given a good explanation or what it was. I've never looked into it beyond that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasteofo2: when the children are the same gender, are they more often female than male? It could be a X-chromosome gene.

Maybe it's the hormonal environment of the mom that inhibits the normal development of one sex.

Monique said:
Wasteofo2: when the children are the same gender, are they more often female than male? It could be a X-chromosome gene.

Maybe it's the hormonal environment of the mom that inhibits the normal development of one sex.

Do you mean something that would stop Y sperm from entering the egg? Or that would abort the egg very early?

That would cause it to abort. Think about wrong imprinting in females (I believe it has a different name) or about a mutation in a gene that causes complete loss of function in the male.

Though, I suppose it could also be possible that something could be wrong with the sperm themselves to prevent them from entering the egg. Perhaps a defect in the acrosome reaction?

Is there any observed pattern for non-identical (fraternal?) twins (other than what you would naively expect)?

Moonbear said:
Though, I suppose it could also be possible that something could be wrong with the sperm themselves to prevent them from entering the egg. Perhaps a defect in the acrosome reaction?
You're suggestion there might be a gene located on the x or y chromosome involved in the process?

Remember Henry the 8th (I think?) He tried so hard to have a son, but he couldn't. He kept getting new wives thinking the female was at fault. He had like 6 wives, and I'm guessing a handful of kids, and only one son.

Is it really possible that some gene or something on the male sperm would cause the egg to abort? What kind of stuff would cause the egg to abort?

The acrosome reaction, that's right when the sperm binds the egg, right?

I talked to a reproductive physiologist about this, just for a few minutes. She said in some animals the female can "choose" which sperm to "accept" (like in animals with multiple fathers, like if there is more than 1 animals sperm in the female, the female could pick the highest quality sperm).

And, sometimes males can produce mainly male or female sperm.

I guess it seems that there are a multitude of factors:

1. Males producing more of one sex sperm than the other (perhaps such as Henry the 8th).
2. Females eggs being "selective" on the sperm sex (how would they fight it off? How would it abort the fetus?)

She said how the sperm is deposited into the vagina, and the "gel" of the semen breaks down and causes the uteris to contract which aids in getting the sperm to the egg. Is it possible that poor quality sperm wouldn't cause the uteris to contract? Or could the male, when producing sperm, say his "female" sperm, when the oxytocin (??) that causes the contraction could be not added properly so that one sex sperm would tend to not cause uteris to contract?

Interesting topic..

Monique, I have not noticed that more often tha not pairs of children who are the same gender are female, but I generally associate with males more than females, so I can't really tell.

Does anyone know how the chromosome of a sperm is determined? I had always thought that you have the spermatocyte whichhad 46 chromosomes, it split, one half had an X, one half had a Y, then they duplicated themselves, and split, creating 2 cells with X and 2 cells with Y chromosomes, but perhaps that's not how it is.

aychamo said:
I talked to a reproductive physiologist about this, just for a few minutes. She said in some animals the female can "choose" which sperm to "accept" (like in animals with multiple fathers, like if there is more than 1 animals sperm in the female, the female could pick the highest quality sperm).

i have two children, one of each gender...when i wanted a second child, i wanted to try for a male, since my first was female...i read that i should eat a lot more meat and vegetables as this had an effect on the uterine chemical makeup (acid vs base) in "selecting" the male sperm-sure enough my second was male...interesting to note that prior to me becoming pregnant with my first child (a daughter), i endulged in more sweets and carbs prior to her being conceived...i couldn't find any backup on this, maybe monique can?

what i had read was that a more acidic uterine environment killed off one type of sperm and a more base uterine environment killed of the other...as they say, you are what you eat :biggrin:

Kerrie said:
i have two children, one of each gender...when i wanted a second child, i wanted to try for a male, since my first was female...i read that i should eat a lot more meat and vegetables as this had an effect on the uterine chemical makeup (acid vs base) in "selecting" the male sperm-sure enough my second was male...interesting to note that prior to me becoming pregnant with my first child (a daughter), i endulged in more sweets and carbs prior to her being conceived...i couldn't find any backup on this, maybe monique can?

what i had read was that a more acidic uterine environment killed off one type of sperm and a more base uterine environment killed of the other...as they say, you are what you eat :biggrin:

Interesting. It's weird how us humans have to be told these things, but other "less intelligent" animals just "know" it. Like how dogs know to eat grass when theri stomach is upset. Weird!

Related to Greater likelyhoods of having 2 children of the same gender than 50%?

1. What is the likelihood of having two children of the same gender?

The likelihood of having two children of the same gender is dependent on various factors including genetics, chance, and environmental factors. On average, the likelihood is around 51%, which means that there is a slightly higher chance of having two children of the same gender than having one of each.

2. Why is there a greater likelihood of having two children of the same gender?

The main reason for the greater likelihood of having two children of the same gender is due to genetics. The sex of a baby is determined by the chromosomes inherited from the parents. If both parents have the same type of chromosomes (either both XX or both XY), then there is a higher chance of having children of the same gender.

3. Can environmental factors influence the likelihood of having two children of the same gender?

While genetics is the primary factor in determining the sex of a baby, studies have shown that certain environmental factors such as stress and nutrition can also play a role. However, the extent to which these factors influence the likelihood of having two children of the same gender is still not fully understood and further research is needed.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the likelihood of having two children of the same gender?

Aside from genetics and environmental factors, chance also plays a role in determining the sex of a baby. Each pregnancy is a unique event and the sex of the baby is determined randomly. This means that even if a couple has two children of the same gender, there is still a possibility of having a child of the opposite gender in future pregnancies.

5. Is there a way to increase the likelihood of having two children of the same gender?

While there is no guaranteed method to increase the likelihood of having two children of the same gender, some people believe in techniques such as diet and timing of intercourse that can influence the chances. However, there is no scientific evidence to support these claims and the best way to increase the likelihood is to rely on genetics and chance.