Great Turkish Bombard vs. a tank

• Thread starter Hattushilish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tank
In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of a Napoleonic War-era cannon being used in World War II and the potential impact of firing it into a modern tank. The Great Turkish Bombard was mentioned as an example, with a question posed about whether it could penetrate the armor of a T-72 tank. It was concluded that modern tanks are designed to withstand such attacks and that military testing has been done to ensure their strength against ancient projectiles.
Hattushilish
OK so maybe this is kind of a dumb question, but my curiosity has been killing me so I thought I'd post this here and see if someone with expertise in physics can help me.

I'm a history buff, and a friend of mine mentioned a story he heard about a Napoleonic War-era cannon being pulled out of a museum and used during the defense of Moscow in World War II because the situation was so urgent. He wasn't sure if it was true or not, but that's beside the point.

This made me wonder... what would happen if someone loaded up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dardanelles_Gun" and fired it into a modern tank?

The Great Turkish Bombard could fire a 550 kg projectile that was 63 cm in diameter.
I don't know what kind of muzzle velocity it could achieve, but some 15th century cannons could reach around 250 meters per second.

A http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-72" , just as an example, has 500 mm of composite steel armor.

Would the blast dent the tank? Would it move it or even penetrate the armor?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
as the ball weight is 550 kilograms and moving at 260 meters per second will produse 1.521 kilojoules or brute force.That s more than today s modern tanks impact force.But let's say you fire the stone ball to the tank,lets say the tank is a M1 abrams,the stone ball will break upon impact into pieces and the tank survive but the crew inside will feel the force but will live to tell the tail.Even if it was a steel ball the tank would still survive.Think that if the cannon could penetrate the today s tank armor then they wouldn't have a purpose to exit at modern military arsenal.And last but not least every military has tested their armor against ancient projectiles to see if it will stand up against them good.I hope i helped you

This thread is more than 7 years old and shall be locked.

Related to Great Turkish Bombard vs. a tank

What is a Great Turkish Bombard?

A Great Turkish Bombard, also known as a Dardanelles Gun, is a large, muzzle-loading cannon that was used by the Ottoman Empire in the 15th century. It was primarily used for siege warfare and had a range of up to 2 kilometers.

What is a tank?

A tank is a heavily armored military vehicle that is designed for combat on land. It is equipped with powerful weapons and can navigate through rough terrain.

Can a Great Turkish Bombard destroy a tank?

No, a Great Turkish Bombard is not capable of destroying a modern tank. The technology and armor of modern tanks are far superior to the capabilities of a 15th century cannon.

Could a Great Turkish Bombard have been effective against tanks in the past?

In the past, when tanks were not as advanced and their armor was weaker, a Great Turkish Bombard may have been effective against them. However, it would have been difficult to aim and hit a moving target like a tank with a slow-loading cannon.

Are there any historical instances of a Great Turkish Bombard being used against tanks?

No, there are no recorded instances of a Great Turkish Bombard being used against tanks. By the time tanks were introduced in warfare, the use of cannons had become obsolete.