Great Applied Math Books for Mechanics w/Calc & Diff EQ Knowledge

In summary, The speaker has completed Calc 1-3, Diff EQ, and Linear Algebra and has a degree in Mechanical Engineering. They are looking for book recommendations on applied math at a higher level than the courses they have taken, and would prefer it to relate to their background. They mention a book by Schey as a possible option, but are open to other suggestions. They also mention revisiting a book by Gilbert Strang and are waiting for a related text through interlibrary loan. They recommend checking out Strang's video lectures as well.
2slowtogofast
I have completed Calc 1 - 3 Diff EQ and Linear Algebra and have a degree in Mechanical Eng. I have some free time this summer and am looking for suggestions on a book that deals with applied math at a level somewhat above the courses I have listed. I would like to be challenged and have to material relate to my background listed above.

My only thought right now is Div Grad Curl and all that by Schey. I would like some more ideas to choose from. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have become interested again in a book that has been on my shelf for a while
Gilbert Strang's - Introduction to Applied Mathematics
www.amazon.com/Introduction-Applied-Mathematics-Gilbert-Strang/dp/0961408804[/URL]
It was a text for a course I took a while back.
I am revisiting it because I'm beginning to more deeply appreciate its contents.
(I am also trying to teach myself the finite-element method.)

Through interlibrary loan, I am awaiting a newer somewhat-related text
Strang's Computational Science and Engineering
[URL]https://www.amazon.com/dp/0961408812/?tag=pfamazon01-20[/URL]

You might want to check out his video lectures
[url]http://www-math.mit.edu/~gs/[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Great Applied Math Books for Mechanics w/Calc & Diff EQ Knowledge

1. What are the best applied math books for mechanics with calculus and differential equations?

The best applied math books for mechanics with calculus and differential equations are "Introduction to Continuum Mechanics" by W. Michael Lai, David Rubin, and Erhard Krempl, "Mechanics of Materials" by James M. Gere and Barry J. Goodno, and "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Erwin Kreyszig.

2. Are there any beginner-friendly applied math books for mechanics?

Yes, "Engineering Mechanics: Statics" by J. L. Meriam and L. G. Kraige and "Vector Mechanics for Engineers: Statics" by Ferdinand P. Beer, E. Russell Johnston Jr., and David F. Mazurek are both great options for beginners.

3. Can you recommend any applied math books that focus on specific applications of mechanics?

Some recommended applied math books that focus on specific applications of mechanics are "Fundamentals of Aerodynamics" by John D. Anderson Jr., "Fundamentals of Structural Analysis" by Kenneth M. Leet and Chia-Ming Uang, and "Introduction to Fluid Mechanics" by Bruce R. Munson, Donald F. Young, and Theodore H. Okiishi.

4. Are there any applied math books for mechanics with real-world examples and problems?

Yes, "Practical Stress Analysis for Design Engineers" by Jean-Claude Flabel and "Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics" by J. L. Meriam and L. G. Kraige both include many real-world examples and problems to help students apply their knowledge.

5. Are there any online resources or interactive tools that supplement these applied math books?

Yes, there are many online resources and interactive tools available to supplement these applied math books. Some popular options include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and WolframAlpha. Additionally, many universities and textbook publishers also provide online resources for specific textbooks.