GRE Test: Surviving the Analytical Writing Section

In summary: I don't remember the answer to that question. (Confused)In summary, the GRE General Test was easy for me, but the analytical writing section was very challenging. I recommend studying for the subject exam, which is offered in April.
polygamma
I took the GRE General Test earlier this week. The verbal and quantitative reasoning sections were easy, but I was overwhelmed by the analytical writing section. How does one organize a multi-paragraph response in only 30 minutes? Due to the time constraints, I was only able to give partial responses to both questions.

I have a Master of Science in Mathematics, but most (if not all) PhD programs require that you take the GRE.

Physics news on Phys.org
Random Variable said:
I took the GRE General Test earlier this week. The verbal and quantitative reasoning sections were easy, but I was overwhelmed by the analytical writing section. How does one organize a multi-paragraph response in only 30 minutes? Due to the time constraints, I was only able to give partial responses to both questions.

I have a Master of Science in Mathematics, but most (if not all) PhD programs require that you take the GRE.

To me, the analytic writing section was the most challenging too. However, since I have a thing for writing, I managed to do alright on it. However, I don't think you should really be too concerned about the general exam; most maths departments don't care about the general exam (it's mostly grad admissions that have some interest in it). The thing the maths departments care about is how you do on the GRE subject exam. Have you taken that yet?

It might have helped if I knew beforehand that there is a pool of topics on the GRE web site.

No, I haven't taken the subject test. It's not offered until April. The one thing that concerns me is my knowledge (or lack thereof) of abstract algebra.

Random Variable said:
It might have helped if I knew beforehand that there is a pool of topics on the GRE web site.

No, I haven't taken the subject test. It's not offered until April. The one thing that concerns me is my knowledge (or lack thereof) of abstract algebra.

There are typically not many abstract algebra problems (there were two or three on mine), but whenever they appear, they mess with you head (like they did with mine). I still remember this one problem that bothered me a bunch. It said given that $p$ and $q$ were prime numbers, which of the following are not possible orders of a field? I don't remember what the options were now, but it was annoying at the time. Coupling that with the fact the exam is timed for 2 hrs 50 min, it made things interesting... (Angry)

If they're not straightforward questions, I have no chance of getting them correct.

I would have taken the undergraduate abstract algebra class before I graduated if anyone other than Dr. Cofer had taught it.

Random Variable said:
If they're not straightforward questions, I have no chance of getting them correct.

I would have taken the undergraduate abstract algebra class before I graduated if anyone other than Dr. Cofer had taught it.

I'm just curious about something...is this Dr. Cofer you speak of a female named Tanya? Or is it someone else? (I ask because I took an abstract algebra class as an undegrad with a Dr. Cofer too...??!) XD

Chris L T521 said:
I'm just curious about something...is this Dr. Cofer you speak of a female named Tanya? Or is it someone else? (I ask because I took an abstract algebra class as an undegrad with a Dr. Cofer too...??!) XD
You both may be interested in this page

Last edited:
I thought you knew who I was. My bad. (Doh)

I'm Greg. We were in the same PDE class a couple of years ago at NEIU. You sat in the front row next to Rebecca, and I sat in the back row by the door.

Random Variable said:
I thought you knew who I was. My bad. (Doh)

I'm Greg. We were in the same PDE class a couple of years ago at NEIU. You sat in the front row next to Rebecca, and I sat in the back row by the door.

Oh wow...this world is a small world after all. I do remember you were in my class, but I can't put a face to the name...!

Chris L T521 said:
Oh wow...this world is a small world after all. I do remember you were in my class, but I can't put a face to the name...!

I wear glasses if that helps.

I thought that one of the reasons I was promoted on the old site to "MHF Expert" was because you knew who I was. I'm not sure why I thought that. You hardly knew me.

Wow...ways of the internet...:p By the way the book on abstract algebra by Charles Pinter is great.

Chris L T521 said:
XD
Funny integral.

$$ \int_0^{1}f(x) \ \ XD $$

I took the GRE as well last year just as the new one came out. I did well overall but my writing score was lower than I had expected. I think the GRE is even more useless than the SAT and might be the most unneeded standardized test in US academia. In undergrad a lot of students explore their options and change majors all the time but in grad school you know the path and shouldn't be changing it. The ability to answer strange math and English questions very well would not be a big factor if I was in charge of grad school admissions.

Related to GRE Test: Surviving the Analytical Writing Section

1. What is the format of the GRE Analytical Writing Section?

The GRE Analytical Writing Section consists of two tasks: the Analyze an Issue task and the Analyze an Argument task. Both tasks require you to write an essay in response to a given prompt. You will have 30 minutes to complete each task.

2. How is the Analytical Writing Section scored?

The Analytical Writing Section is scored on a scale of 0-6, in half-point increments. Two independent readers will score your essays, and then those scores will be averaged. The final score will be rounded to the nearest half-point.

3. What types of prompts can I expect in the Analytical Writing Section?

The prompts in the Analytical Writing Section will focus on topics related to current events, social issues, and general concepts. The Analyze an Issue task will require you to take a position on a given topic and support it with reasons and examples. The Analyze an Argument task will require you to critique a given argument and provide evidence to support your critique.

4. Can I use a calculator during the Analytical Writing Section?

No, you are not allowed to use a calculator during the Analytical Writing Section. The tasks do not require any complex calculations, so you are expected to complete them without the use of a calculator.

5. How can I prepare for the GRE Analytical Writing Section?

To prepare for the Analytical Writing Section, familiarize yourself with the format and scoring guidelines. Practice writing essays within the allotted time frame and get feedback from others. Read and analyze sample essays to understand the structure and strategies used. Finally, work on improving your critical thinking and writing skills by reading and writing regularly.