GRE Math SUBJECT test for Oct. 6, 07 (or other months)

In summary: I would definitely try to answer as many questions as possible. Even if you don't know the answer, leave it blank and you'll get points for trying. I would also try to spend the least amount of time on any problem, as time is precious. Thanks for the advice!I would definitely try to answer as many questions as possible. Even if you don't know the answer, leave it blank and you'll get points for trying. I would also try to spend the least amount of time on any problem, as time is precious. Thanks for the advice!
pelunia
hi everyone. i wanted to know what people scored for this month's test (or any other month if you feel like) and how they got the score (approximately how many questions answered correctly, incorrectly, skipped) so i have an idea of how well i need to do to do in the future in order to meet my goal. feel free to send me a private message with the data if you're not comfortable posting it publicly. i would really, really appreciate if people can help me out on this so i get a good idea of how well i need to do.
by the way, is the test out of 890 or 990? i know it varies, but in general, what range of raw scores do i need to fall in in order to get something like 900 (if out of 990 scale) or 840 (if out of 890 scale). thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
pelunia said:
hi everyone. i wanted to know what people scored for this month's test (or any other month if you feel like) and how they got the score (approximately how many questions answered correctly, incorrectly, skipped) so i have an idea of how well i need to do to do in the future in order to meet my goal. feel free to send me a private message with the data if you're not comfortable posting it publicly. i would really, really appreciate if people can help me out on this so i get a good idea of how well i need to do.
by the way, is the test out of 890 or 990? i know it varies, but in general, what range of raw scores do i need to fall in in order to get something like 900 (if out of 990 scale) or 840 (if out of 890 scale). thanks for your help.

We're still waiting two more weeks for the Oct. 6 test scores. I can't stand this waiting game anymore! I would pay a hundred bucks to know my score right now. I'll let you know when I find out.

Edit: Oops, I thought you meant the PHYSICS subject test, not math.

Last edited:
pelunia said:

the GRE gives you the scaling in the packet they give you when you sign up for the exam. I believe a 90ths percentile score is a raw score of 56 (10 skipped).

JasonJo said:
the GRE gives you the scaling in the packet they give you when you sign up for the exam. I believe a 90ths percentile score is a raw score of 56 (10 skipped).

If it is anything like the physics GRE, the scale in the sample GRE that they send you is not necessarily the same as the one you take. Of course, it could be nothing like the physics GRE.

did anyone call ETS to get their scores early?

waiting for mine

Oh, one thing I will tell you is that there where one thing on the test I definitely didn't know but could have learned the day before and answered the questions. I have never taken complex variables: I didn't know how to integrate in the complex domain.

You should try and answer as many question as possible meaning if you can just elminate one of the answers you try and make an educated guess--often you can elimanate much more than that. The other thing is you will probably run out of time so don't get stuck on a problem for more than 4-5 minutes and only work on a problem for 4-5 minutes if you think you can get the solution but need the time.

thanks eastside. does anyone else also have any advice/suggestions/tips/strategies to taking the test/approaching certain types of problems? if you have no idea how to solve a problem, is it better to just skip it or just answer it (ie. should i leave nothing blank? if my guess is wrong, the penalty will hurt my score only a little bit, but if i get it right, the benefit is better?) thanks!

Last edited:
Every question has a choice between 5 answers. If absolutely do not know the material, then blindly guessing is very unlikely to increase your score and will probably decrease it. So no don't answer every question. If you can eliminate one of the choices then because you get 1/4 off for each wrong solution, you probably will not increase or decrease your score by guessing...it may still be worth while to guess if you have a feel for what the answer should be (i.e. you are familiar with the material if only marginally). Now if you can eliminate two or three answers then the possibility of increasing your score goes up.

Just don't blindly guess. For instance, I didn't answer any of the question on integration in the complex domain. I have maybe computed two integrals in my life of that sort, and I just really don't know how to do it. So, I didn't answer any of the questions. But, in contrast, there was a Langrange multiplier problem that I didn't have time to do. I definitely knew that three of the answers where incorrect but it was questionable about the other two. I guessed.

Well, I had 770 (83%). I am a graduate in Mathematical Engineering, from Italy, with Honors and a 4.00 (converted) GPA in mathematics (3.97 overall). I am well prepared on calculus and diff.equations, but I know only basic abstract algebra (the things from algebra one needs in other branches of mathematics, groups, fields...).

This might explain the not great score.

Related to GRE Math SUBJECT test for Oct. 6, 07 (or other months)

1. What topics are covered on the GRE Math Subject test?

The GRE Math Subject test covers a wide range of math topics including algebra, geometry, calculus, and statistics. It also includes more advanced topics such as linear algebra, abstract algebra, and number theory.

2. How long is the GRE Math Subject test?

The GRE Math Subject test is 2 hours and 50 minutes long, with a total of 66 multiple-choice questions.

3. What is a passing score on the GRE Math Subject test?

There is no set passing score for the GRE Math Subject test. Each institution or program may have their own score requirements, so it is important to check with the specific schools you are applying to.

4. Can I use a calculator on the GRE Math Subject test?

No, calculators are not allowed on the GRE Math Subject test. However, you will be provided with a calculator on the computer for the few questions that require it.

5. How should I prepare for the GRE Math Subject test?

To prepare for the GRE Math Subject test, it is important to review all of the math topics covered on the test. Practice tests and study guides can also be helpful. It is also recommended to familiarize yourself with the test format and timing to ensure you can complete all questions within the allotted time.