Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GRE General Test

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012
I took the GRE General Test earlier this week. The verbal and quantitative reasoning sections were easy, but I was overwhelmed by the analytical writing section. How does one organize a multi-paragraph response in only 30 minutes? Due to the time constraints, I was only able to give partial responses to both questions.

I have a Master of Science in Mathematics, but most (if not all) PhD programs require that you take the GRE.

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I took the GRE General Test earlier this week. The verbal and quantitative reasoning sections were easy, but I was overwhelmed by the analytical writing section. How does one organize a multi-paragraph response in only 30 minutes? Due to the time constraints, I was only able to give partial responses to both questions.

I have a Master of Science in Mathematics, but most (if not all) PhD programs require that you take the GRE.
To me, the analytic writing section was the most challenging too. However, since I have a thing for writing, I managed to do alright on it. However, I don't think you should really be too concerned about the general exam; most maths departments don't care about the general exam (it's mostly grad admissions that have some interest in it). The thing the maths departments care about is how you do on the GRE subject exam. Have you taken that yet?

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012
It might have helped if I knew beforehand that there is a pool of topics on the GRE web site.

No, I haven't taken the subject test. It's not offered until April. The one thing that concerns me is my knowledge (or lack thereof) of abstract algebra.

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
It might have helped if I knew beforehand that there is a pool of topics on the GRE web site.

No, I haven't taken the subject test. It's not offered until April. The one thing that concerns me is my knowledge (or lack thereof) of abstract algebra.
There are typically not many abstract algebra problems (there were two or three on mine), but whenever they appear, they mess with you head (like they did with mine). I still remember this one problem that bothered me a bunch. It said given that $p$ and $q$ were prime numbers, which of the following are not possible orders of a field? I don't remember what the options were now, but it was annoying at the time. Coupling that with the fact the exam is timed for 2 hrs 50 min, it made things interesting... (Angry)

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012
If they're not straightforward questions, I have no chance of getting them correct.

I would have taken the undergraduate abstract algebra class before I graduated if anyone other than Dr. Cofer had taught it.

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
If they're not straightforward questions, I have no chance of getting them correct.

I would have taken the undergraduate abstract algebra class before I graduated if anyone other than Dr. Cofer had taught it.
I'm just curious about something...is this Dr. Cofer you speak of a female named Tanya? Or is it someone else? (I ask because I took an abstract algebra class as an undegrad with a Dr. Cofer too...!?!?!) XD

Plato

MHB Math Helper
Jan 27, 2012
I'm just curious about something...is this Dr. Cofer you speak of a female named Tanya? Or is it someone else? (I ask because I took an abstract algebra class as an undegrad with a Dr. Cofer too...!?!?!) XD
You both may be interested in this page

Last edited:

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012
I thought you knew who I was. My bad. (Doh)

I'm Greg. We were in the same PDE class a couple of years ago at NEIU. You sat in the front row next to Rebecca, and I sat in the back row by the door.

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I thought you knew who I was. My bad. (Doh)

I'm Greg. We were in the same PDE class a couple of years ago at NEIU. You sat in the front row next to Rebecca, and I sat in the back row by the door.
Oh wow...this world is a small world after all. I do remember you were in my class, but I can't put a face to the name...!!!

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012
Oh wow...this world is a small world after all. I do remember you were in my class, but I can't put a face to the name...!!!
I wear glasses if that helps.

I thought that one of the reasons I was promoted on the old site to "MHF Expert" was because you knew who I was. I'm not sure why I thought that. You hardly knew me.

issacnewton

Jan 30, 2012
Wow......ways of the internet....:p By the way the book on abstract algebra by Charles Pinter is great.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I took the GRE as well last year just as the new one came out. I did well overall but my writing score was lower than I had expected. I think the GRE is even more useless than the SAT and might be the most unneeded standardized test in US academia. In undergrad a lot of students explore their options and change majors all the time but in grad school you know the path and shouldn't be changing it. The ability to answer strange math and English questions very well would not be a big factor if I was in charge of grad school admissions.