GRE for mathematics and for physics

In summary, it is almost impossible for a person without a mathematics and physics background to write GRE subject tests in mathematics and physics. The length of preparation time needed varies, but it is typically the amount of time it takes to obtain a degree. It is also not necessary for those pursuing a computational science master's program to take both tests, and it is recommended to only apply to programs that do not require them. It is unlikely that someone with limited math and physics background can achieve a decent score on these tests in a short amount of time, and it is suggested to buy previous versions of the tests to gauge readiness.
quantknight
How much is it difficult for a person to write Gre subject tests mathematics and physics without mathematics and physics background? How long should they prepare?

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost impossible, and however long it takes to get a degree.

Likes Dishsoap
I have studied calculus 1&2, and have studied physics in senior school. if I start preparing for both subjects from now for the test of next year October, can I get a decent score?

Are you going to keep asking this question until you get an answer you like?

quantknight,

I thought you were going to apply for computational science masters programs,
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...e-for-a-computational-science-masters.919238/

Have you looked into the admissions requirements for such programs? Do they really require subject tests in physics and mathematics? I would be surprised if such programs required even one of those tests, let alone both. In any case, listen to Vanadium 50. He knows what he is talking about. You should apply only to those programs that do not require the math and/or physics subject tests. Given your undergrad is in computer science, I suspect testing requirements will not limit your options at all.

jason

jasonRF said:
quantknight,

I thought you were going to apply for computational science masters programs,
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...e-for-a-computational-science-masters.919238/

Have you looked into the admissions requirements for such programs? Do they really require subject tests in physics and mathematics? I would be surprised if such programs required even one of those tests, let alone both. In any case, listen to Vanadium 50. He knows what he is talking about. You should apply only to those programs that do not require the math and/or physics subject tests. Given your undergrad is in computer science, I suspect testing requirements will not limit your options at all.

jason

Yeah, I mailed those universities, they informed me that the mathematics is too high on computational sciences, so I thought if I do an examination on mathematics or physics subject, it would be helpful to get an admission into computational physics. And most of the universities don't guide me about any additional mathematical courses required. It would be helpful if someone suggest me any mathematics or computer science courses which would help me to get admission into computational science program.

quantknight said:
I have studied calculus 1&2, and have studied physics in senior school. if I start preparing for both subjects from now for the test of next year October, can I get a decent score?
Probably not. Think about it. These tests are intended to give some measure of how much math and physics you know for admission into graduate school. You've barely taken any math and physics and are asking if you can learn in a few months what others spend four years learning. If it were that easy, why bother with undergraduate education at all?

Rather than guessing, though, you could just buy previous versions of the tests from ETS and see how well you do on them.

If you were a senior physics major preparing to take the physics GRE, I would tell them that now is the time to begin studying for it if they have not already. Here, look at this: https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/practice_book_physics.pdf

That is a previous physics GRE. If you take it and get over a 800, come back to this thread and we will give you advice on how to proceed further.

Related to GRE for mathematics and for physics

1. What is the GRE for mathematics and physics?

The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) for mathematics and physics is a standardized test used by graduate schools to evaluate applicants for advanced degrees in these fields. It measures quantitative reasoning, analytical writing, and verbal reasoning skills.

2. What is the format of the GRE for mathematics and physics?

The GRE for mathematics and physics consists of two sections: a quantitative reasoning section and a subject test in either mathematics or physics. The quantitative reasoning section contains 40 multiple-choice questions and the subject test contains 100 multiple-choice questions.

3. How is the GRE for mathematics and physics scored?

The quantitative reasoning section of the GRE for mathematics and physics is scored on a scale of 130-170, with 1-point increments. The subject test is scored on a scale of 200-990, with 10-point increments. Both scores are reported as percentiles, indicating the percentage of test-takers that scored below you.

4. How should I prepare for the GRE for mathematics and physics?

To prepare for the GRE for mathematics and physics, it is important to review fundamental concepts in mathematics and physics, as well as practice solving problems under timed conditions. There are also study materials and practice tests available online and through test preparation companies.

5. How important is the GRE for mathematics and physics in the graduate school admissions process?

The importance of the GRE for mathematics and physics varies among graduate schools. Some schools may weigh the GRE heavily in their admissions decisions, while others may place more emphasis on other components such as letters of recommendation and research experience. It is important to research the specific requirements and expectations of the schools you are applying to.