Gravity Waves: Frequency & Understanding Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of calculating the frequency of gravitational waves, as it varies depending on the source. The range of frequencies can be anywhere from 10^-16 Hz to 10^4 Hz. The conversation suggests looking into books or online sources for more information on gravitational waves and mentions the possibility of developing a simple equation for calculating their frequency.
mithun pv
I got one solution for an simple ode that involving gravity wave frequency . Before going further I have to understand more about gravity wave . So I need your help guys ...

Physics news on Phys.org
What was that "simple ode"?o_O

Hi,
Gravtiational waves don't have any specific frequency, and it's definitely not easy to calculate the frequency though any simple equations. The frequency of the gravitational wave depend on the sources they originate from. For instance, gravitational waves originating from a pair of dense stars would have a frequency ranging from 10 to the power of -3 Hz all the way to 100 Hz, or a pair of supermassive black holes would have a frequency ranging from 10 to the -10 Hz all the way to 10 to the -2 Hz. As you can see that is quite a large range, so I'm sorry but it would be extremely difficult to calculate this value. On the other hand, if you want to know more about gravitational waves, there are many books containing great information, so I would say visit your local library and hope that they have books on them. If not, you may want to find an eBook or an online source.

Likes bhobba
This 1995 Kip Thorne paper, Gravitational Waves (http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9506086), expects them in the range of 10^-16 Hz to 10^4 Hz. The period of 10^-16 Hz is about 300 million years.

I'll study this more and maybe develop a simple equation for calculating this value, once I am complete I'll get back to you on it and give you the equation(s). :D

Related to Gravity Waves: Frequency & Understanding Needed

1. What are gravity waves?

Gravity waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time that are caused by the acceleration of massive objects, such as stars or black holes.

2. How are gravity waves different from electromagnetic waves?

Gravity waves are fundamentally different from electromagnetic waves in that they are caused by the warping of space-time, while electromagnetic waves are caused by oscillating electric and magnetic fields.

3. What is the frequency of gravity waves?

The frequency of gravity waves can vary greatly depending on the source, but they tend to have very low frequencies compared to electromagnetic waves. The detected gravity waves from black hole mergers, for example, had frequencies in the range of 10-1000 Hz.

4. How are gravity waves detected?

Gravity waves are detected through incredibly precise measurements of space-time using devices called interferometers. These devices measure tiny changes in the length of light paths caused by the passing of gravity waves.

5. Why is understanding gravity waves important?

Studying gravity waves allows us to better understand the behavior and properties of massive objects in the universe. It also provides evidence for the theory of general relativity and can potentially lead to new discoveries about the nature of space and time.