Gravity waves and density perturbations

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between density perturbations and gravity waves, and how they interact with matter in the photon-baryon plasma. It is explained that perturbations are frozen by the rapid expansion before re-entering the horizon, but once they do, they can begin to oscillate and affect the evolution of matter. The length of the basic tone is calculated from the end of inflation, but there is a question about the fluctuation during the radiation era. It is clarified that the waves do expand during this time, but they do not oscillate. Additionally, it is mentioned that perturbations were re-entering all the time, even before the beginning of the matter era.
Discman
I am totally confused. What is concerning the anisotropy the difference between re-entering gravity waves and re-entering density perturbations and more important for me what is then happening in the photon-baryon plasma between end of inflation and these re-enterings.

Space news on Phys.org
Density perturbations are perturbations in the density of matter and radiation. Gravity waves are perturbations in the curvature of space-time. The two are related, but not completely: because plasmas do not support twisting forces, gravity waves that lead to twisting forces don't interact with matter very much.

By large, before the perturbations re-enter the horizon, they are frozen* by the rapid expansion and speed of light limitation. This means that there is no oscillation and the relative density between different regions stays about the same as the universe expands. Once the expansion slows down to the point that the waves can oscillate, they do: normal matter starts falling into overdense regions and bounces back out.

* The perturbations aren't completely frozen, but they don't evolve very much.

Thank you so far for your explanation. But I still don't understand the correlation between the acoustic waves which are laid down by the inflation which are oscillating during the radiation era and the re-entering ± 50.000 years later. Must I see them as a continuum?

Discman said:
Thank you so far for your explanation. But I still don't understand the correlation between the acoustic waves which are laid down by the inflation which are oscillating during the radiation era and the re-entering ± 50.000 years later. Must I see them as a continuum?
They don't do any oscillation before re-entering the horizon. They do evolve somewhat, but not enough to oscillate.

Then still there is the problem that the length of the basic tone is calculated right from the end of inflation till the sound horizon and not calculated from the re-entering till the sound horizon. Is the fluctuation in the radiation era a part of the total wavelength?

Discman said:
Then still there is the problem that the length of the basic tone is calculated right from the end of inflation till the sound horizon and not calculated from the re-entering till the sound horizon. Is the fluctuation in the radiation era a part of the total wavelength?
The waves still expand (increase in wavelength) during the period while they're outside the horizon. They just don't oscillate.

Sorry, I'm not very clear. I am talking now about the subhorizon fluctuations and my question is what happens to them when perturbations re-enter the horizon. Does a great photon concentration from the radiation era now fall together with the baryons in a potential well of the re-entering perturbation?

Discman said:
Sorry, I'm not very clear. I am talking now about the subhorizon fluctuations and my question is what happens to them when perturbations re-enter the horizon. Does a great photon concentration from the radiation era now fall together with the baryons in a potential well of the re-entering perturbation?
If the density perturbation had a wavelength large enough that it didn't re-enter the horizon until after the radiation-dominated era, then yes, it will fall into the potential well only after the density perturbation re-enters the horizon.

As I understand it, before the emission of the CMB, when the universe was a plasma, the photons and baryons moved together as a single fluid as they interacted strongly.

Thank you. From your answer I now understand that perturbations were re-entering all the time, also before the beginning of the matter era.

Yes, depending upon their wavelengths.

Related to Gravity waves and density perturbations

1. What are gravity waves?

Gravity waves are disturbances in the curvature of space-time caused by the acceleration of massive objects. They are predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity and are similar to ripples on the surface of a pond.

2. How are gravity waves different from electromagnetic waves?

Gravity waves and electromagnetic waves are fundamentally different. While electromagnetic waves are disturbances in the electromagnetic field, gravity waves are disturbances in the fabric of space-time itself. Additionally, electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum, while gravity waves require a medium, such as space-time, to propagate.

3. What are density perturbations?

Density perturbations refer to the fluctuations in the density of matter in the universe. These perturbations are thought to have been formed during the early stages of the universe and are responsible for the formation of structures such as galaxies and galaxy clusters.

4. What is the significance of studying gravity waves and density perturbations?

Studying gravity waves and density perturbations can provide insights into the early stages of the universe and the formation of large-scale structures. These phenomena also play a crucial role in understanding the distribution of matter in the universe and can help test theories of gravity and the nature of dark matter.

5. How do scientists detect gravity waves and density perturbations?

Scientists use various methods to detect gravity waves and density perturbations. Some of the techniques include measuring the cosmic microwave background radiation, observing the motion of galaxies, and detecting the gravitational lensing effect. The recent detection of gravity waves by the LIGO experiment has opened up a new window for studying these phenomena.