Gravity Wave, How? Video inside

In summary, the video in question is misleading and does not accurately depict atmospheric gravity waves. The term "gravity waves" has been used in both meteorology and physics, causing confusion. The Earth's dynamics involve various waves, including topographic waves, which are caused by the Earth's features. The video does not accurately portray atmospheric gravity waves and is not a reliable source for information on the subject.
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
The clouds are moving in waves. Why?

Raza said:
The clouds are moving in waves. Why?

Why not? This is all atmospheric phenomena, does not have anything to do with gravity waves as the title suggests.

Integral said:
Why not? This is all atmospheric phenomena, does not have anything to do with gravity waves as the title suggests.

Thank you for clarifying that. but why does the clouds move in a wave?

Gravitational waves versus gravity waves

Integral said:

The popular press--- and unfortunately some physicists--- have taken to calling gravational waves (as in gtr and other gravitation theories) "gravity waves", despite the fact that this term has long been used in meteorology to mean a type of atmospheric wave. I haven't seen the video the OP is asking about, so I have no idea if this video in any sense illustrates a meteorological gravity wave.

Since I know this video, allow me to point out and correct couple of things:

First the video:
Its misleading (big time). Look at the middle of the screen and you will see a road where a very fast dots are moving (cars). That means its greatly accelerated. Then look at the way the sun moves. It looks as if rising then starts to set however another bright spot migrating across the scene as if it is another day. The time on the screen seem totally irrelevant and misleading. That scene is not taken in 15minutes normal speed. It looks it has been taken very fast over more than a day.

Second the atmospheric gravity wave business:
The Earth's dynamics is very vast and interesting field. There are numerous waves propagating in various speeds and directions all the time and they may interact non-linearly. The term gravity wave may be well misplaced and should be called topographic wave (since that's the cause of the wave). Needless to say, there are waves in atmosphere caused by gravity tides. There are many other which I will not mention. Let me post a good link concerning topographic waves (which this video to my knowledge portraits): (its actually a masters thesis but in HTML and can be just quickly browsed through looking at the pics to get the idea)
http://www.igf.fuw.edu.pl/zbyszek/magister/PracaMagisterskaPoprFinalKonrad.html#SECTION00020000000000000000

Thank you, sneez
That was very very educational.

Related to Gravity Wave, How? Video inside

1. What is a gravity wave?

A gravity wave is a type of wave that occurs in a fluid medium, such as air or water, when the force of gravity is acting on it. It is a result of the disturbance of the medium’s equilibrium, and it propagates through the medium without causing any net displacement of the medium itself.

2. How are gravity waves formed?

Gravity waves are formed due to the transfer of energy from a source to the fluid medium. This energy transfer can be caused by various factors such as wind, earthquakes, or even a moving object. As the energy is transferred, the medium experiences a disturbance, resulting in the formation of gravity waves.

3. How do gravity waves travel?

Gravity waves travel in a sinusoidal pattern, where the particles of the medium oscillate up and down as the wave passes through. The speed at which gravity waves travel is dependent on the medium in which they are propagating, with higher density mediums resulting in faster wave speeds.

4. What is the importance of studying gravity waves?

Studying gravity waves can provide valuable insights into various phenomena, such as weather patterns, ocean currents, and even seismic activity. Understanding gravity waves can also lead to advancements in technology, such as improving aircraft turbulence prediction and designing more efficient ships.

5. How is the study of gravity waves relevant to space exploration?

Gravity waves play a crucial role in the dynamics of the Earth’s atmosphere, and understanding them is essential for predicting weather patterns and studying climate change. They also have an impact on the orbits of satellites and spacecraft, making them relevant to space exploration and navigation.