Gravity value on neutron stars

In summary, the value of gravity acceleration depends on the mass of the planet or star. On Earth, the average value is 9.81 ms-2. On the sun, it is believed to be around 1200 ms-2, but this may not be accurate. There is a relationship between mass and gravity, described by the equation g = G \frac{M}{R^2}. However, further research is needed to verify the value of 1200 ms-2 for the sun.
delplace
Gravity acceleration value depend on planet and stars mass. On the earth, the well known average value is 9.81 ms-2. On the sun, I read 1200 ms-2; is it true ? does exist a curve giving values depending on mass ?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
delplace said:
On the sun, I read 1200 ms-2; is it true ?

Not from what I find. I get something like 274.2ms-2.

delplace said:
does exist a curve giving values depending on mass ?

Gravity is linearly proportional to the mass of the object and inversely proportional to the square of its radius. Something like this:
[tex]g = G \frac{M}{R^2}[/tex]

thank you. I will verify on internet why this value of 1200 ms-2

bye

Related to Gravity value on neutron stars

1. What is the gravity value on neutron stars?

The gravity value on neutron stars is extremely high, with the surface gravity being around 2 x 10^11 times that of Earth's surface gravity. This means that a person weighing 150 pounds on Earth would weigh approximately 33 million tons on a neutron star.

2. How is the gravity value on neutron stars measured?

The gravity on neutron stars is measured using the equation for surface gravity, which takes into account the mass and radius of the star. The resulting value is then compared to Earth's surface gravity to determine the strength of the gravity on the neutron star.

3. How does the gravity value on neutron stars affect time?

The extreme gravity on neutron stars can actually cause time to slow down. This is due to the effect of gravitational time dilation, which is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity. Time moves slower in areas with stronger gravity, so time would pass much slower on a neutron star compared to Earth.

4. Can anything escape the gravity on neutron stars?

The gravity on neutron stars is so strong that it can even trap light, making it impossible for anything to escape. This is why neutron stars are also known as "black holes". Even the most powerful rockets would not be able to escape the gravitational pull of a neutron star.

5. How does the gravity on neutron stars affect the surface of the star?

The extreme gravity on neutron stars causes the surface to be incredibly dense and compact. The pressure from the gravity is so strong that the atoms are crushed together, resulting in a surface that is 10 trillion times stronger than steel. This intense pressure also causes the neutron star to emit high levels of radiation.